Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Disappointing Auto CPAP Results
RE: Disappointing Auto CPAP Results
The Resmed and Phillips machine prices are usually quite close, some Amazon sales being the exception.  The DreamStation is not a worse quality machine.  Both companies did research, testing, and made (different) decisions about how to best treat sleep apnea.  Some people find that the Resmed method is too aggressive and disturbs their sleep.  Resmed has recently added a "soft mode".  The Resmed algorithm will yield better results when the machine's lower pressure setting is further from ideal.  Personally, I'd rather have my lower pressure closer to my 90% so that I did have to experience large pressure changes.

I would not be too concerned about one bad night.  We all have them.  Maybe you slept on your back when you don't normally, or your head came off your pillow and you tucked in your chin, or you were having a slight allergic reaction etc.  It is the trend and average over time that is important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chill,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, it was the Amazon price I was thinking of, because that's where I bought my DreamStation Auto CPAP, for <$400.

My results do seem to spike up from time to time, but never to the extent of that one night. As you suggested, I'll watch long term trends. Also, now that I've figured out how to check results daily (with SleepyHead, and with DreamMapper once the Bluetooth modem for my older PR System 1 BiPAP Pro machine arrives), I'll be better able to detect problems when they occur, and look for causes.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi benjaminthurston,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the above suggestion of a positional issue. We have some members that will have large numbers of obstructive apnea with snores and flow limits, and it doesn't matter what pressure they have. Some have totally solved the problem using a soft cervical collar or ergonomic pillow that prevents the chin from tucking toward the chest and cutting off their airway. It's amazing how common it it. I'd guess the same thing here, but you apparently don't do it often.

Glad to see you finally have the data rolling. Let us know how the DS works out with the higher minimum pressure. Also watch what happens to tidal volume and minute vent compared to BiPAP when you don't have teh pressure support. I will bet it drops.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest that you compress your graphs a little vertically so the flow limit. graph shows in your screen shots. It was that data that helped pinpoint one of my major issues, which was head and neck position. I purchased a buckwheat chaff pillow which can be conformed to 0.0 to 2.0stabilize head position and my AHIs immediately improved from frequent fluctuations from a range of well under 5 to the mid to high teens to a range of 0.0 to 2. I still have the occasional bad night such as last night (11.8) but they are much less frequent. You will see in the flow limit graph a cluster of significant spikes in the range of  0.5- 0.9 that correlate with most of the apnea events. I suspect I tucked my chin or rolled onto my back and partially closed the airway. I also switched from CPAP to APAP shortly after getting the pillow, which also helped but I believe the stabilization made as much of a contribution.

The graphs can be compressed by placing the mouse pointer over the horizontal line under the graph to be compressed se o the double arrow shows. Then hold the left button down and move the line up using the mouse. It's just like adjusting the height and width of columns and rows in Excel and Word. Of course, you don't need to do that to evaluate the data yourself but seeing the additional graphs will help forum members.

Here is how I recommend you configure the graphs you post. You will see what I mean about the correlation between flow limitation and apnea events.  The first is from last night and shows a single cluster of flow limitations. I''ve also added an w\earlier graph with many more flow limitations which resulted in a forum member suggesting what my problem was.  

[Image: EQplJ8ll.png]
[Image: 98PsRINl.png]
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can also turn off the Calendar when doing a screenshot, this way you include all of the information in and below the Statistics on the left. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 07:21 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You can also turn off the Calendar when doing a screenshot, this way you include all of the information in and below the Statistics on the left.  Smile

Thanks for the reminder. Oh-jeez I usually turn it off but overlooked it this time. I do it the same way I adjust the height of the graphs. There is no visible line but it is right at the top of the tabs for details, events, notes, and bookmarks, I find the calendar pops back again each time I open SleepyHead. I don;t know if there is a way to close it permanently.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 09:42 AM)Melman Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 07:21 AM)OpalRose Wrote: You can also turn off the Calendar when doing a screenshot, this way you include all of the information in and below the Statistics on the left.  Smile

Thanks for the reminder. Oh-jeez I usually turn it off but overlooked it this time. I do it the same way I adjust the height of the graphs. There is no visible line but it is right at the top of the tabs for details, events, notes, and bookmarks, I find the calendar pops back again each time I open SleepyHead. I don;t know if there is a way to close it permanently.

I only turn it off if I need to do a screenshot, otherwise I like to see it if I need to go back and compare days.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Melman,
If you press the F12 key, it will temporarily turn off the calendar while SleepyHead performs the screen capture.  The screenshot will be stored in the SleepyHeadData->Screenshots folder.  The name will be screenshot-YearMonthDay-HourMinuteSecond.png.  

Here is the name as it really appears:  screenshot-20170228-085819.png
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 472 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.