Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Do I Have UARS?
Do I Have UARS?
Is is possible to look at my OSCAR data and tell if I have Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome? I was recently diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea with a home study. However, I have Hyperandrenergic POTS which seems to more associated with Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome. I also have low blood pressure that seems to be more associated with UARS than OSA.  But, I could not get the sleep lab to agree to an in lab study where they could see if I had UARS.  They would only allow me a home study which they told me could not tell if I have UARS.  If one has UARS does it just show up as Obstructive Sleep Apnea on a home study or would it just not be detected at all?  I have read that treatment for UARS is the same as with OSA but am wondering if there are things that should be taken into consideration with the types of machines and/or settings used for UARS as opposed to OSA? If it is possible to somewhat detect from OSCAR data as to whether I might have UARS what do I need to look for?  Or what should I upload if others can help me with the data?  I am assuming it is also possible to have both OSA and UARS.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I Have UARS?
Most people that have OSA also have UARS. For simplicity consider UARS the same as Flow Limits. There is a progression
1. Apnea, 80-100% blockage or resistance for 10+ seconds.
2. Hypopnea 50-80% blockage or resistance for 10+ seconds
3. Flow Limits, up to 50% blockage or resistance, not timed.

Obviously a few isolated instances are insignificant.

How easy is it to detect breathing that is 75-90% of normal? There are very few labs that do, and very few doctors

We look for flow limits in a 2-minute view for breaths that are not rounded, or are of lessor volume than "normal". Ideally we would scroll thru with that small view looking. One doctor that actually treats this looks for 90+% normal, well rounded breathing as the target metric.

You mention machines, the best machine for UARS is a BiLevel such as the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto because of the greater range of Pressure Support (EPR on ResMed CPAP/APAPs.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I Have UARS?
Good like treating UARS with PAP, 98% of UARS patients quit according to one study (Christian Guilleminault)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 71 18 minutes ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 961 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.