Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Do I need it or not?
Do I need it or not?
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea after a 2 night oximeter test where there were apparently 20 something interuptions an hour.
I got my CPAP yesterday, and after using it, with it on a pressure of 4, it says 0.9 interuptions an hour. This has me confused, do I need it or not?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I need it or not?
We are looking specifically for the apnea index (AHI) and normal is less than 5.  If your 'interruption' is what we call AHI, and if it dropped from 20 to 0.9, I would venture to guess that you are being treated but would need the Sleepyhead info to be certain.

Download Sleepyhead and post your data here so better info can be given.  I don't have a direct link to sleepyhead, but it can be found here or someone will come along shortly with the link.

Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

Agreed with Hojo. The AHI number of 20 was before the CPAP therapy helped. Then the AHI of .9 you see is after the CPAP has been used to treat you. That tells me the CPAP is causing a reduction in AHI of 19.1.

Get Sleepyhead and post a chart or 2, and the smart people here can help interpret your therapy results. If you have it, post your sleep study results. Oh and if you don't have the sleep study and the CPAP script, get copies of them.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. I agree with the others. Your seeing the results of treatment. You can download Sleepyhead on the link below. You'll need a SD card to record your data and transfer to your computer. If your machine didn't come with one you can pick one up online or at an electronics store.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It would be helpful to see the full report of your 2-day oximeter test (with personally identifiable information removed).
-Amin
Nothing I say on the forum should be taken as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nekosune,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Here is a link to #sleepyhead, (Link within Name.)
It sounds like you are being treated, but if you post some data from #sleepyhead , you will get lots of guidance to help you.
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 04:43 AM)nekosune Wrote: I was diagnosed with sleep apnea after a 2 night oximeter test where there were apparently 20 something interuptions an hour.
I got my CPAP yesterday, and after using it, with it on a pressure of 4, it says 0.9 interuptions an hour. This has me confused, do I need it or not?

If you have to ask, then the answer is "Yes!"

Okay, just kidding. However, to put what everyone is saying a different way: as long as you're using it, you don't need it... but when you quit using it -- well, that's when the trouble will start. Again.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.