Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Do I need to see a Doctor?
Do I need to see a Doctor?
I need a new CPAP machine because I just moved to America and left my machine back home. 

I only have my sleep test report from my hospital back home.

So can I go buy it from a CPAP provider, or do I have to go see a Doctor and do the test again, and get a perscription?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I need to see a Doctor?
I bought mine from Supplier #2 in the suppliers list at the top of the site.  I had no RX, but I had to pay for it.  If you can get the Dr. to write you a RX I would do that so your insurance will pay at least part and you many pay a deductible.  You may get one without having to do a sleep study.  If you have to pay for the Dr and sleep study it will be cheaper to buy your own machine.

Recommendation would be a RESMED 10 or 11 AUTOSET.  Be warned that the Dreamstation 2 can not be used with OSCAR.  OSCAR is a free download and what we use here to help with the machine and settings.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2021, 12:35 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I bought mine from Supplier #2 in the suppliers list at the top of the site.  I had no RX, but I had to pay for it.  If you can get the Dr. to write you a RX I would do that so your insurance will pay at least part and you many pay a deductible.  You may get one without having to do a sleep study.  If you have to pay for the Dr and sleep study it will be cheaper to buy your own machine.

Recommendation would be a RESMED 10 or 11 AUTOSET.  Be warned that the Dreamstation 2 can not be used with OSCAR.  OSCAR is a free download and what we use here to help with the machine and settings.

But I dont have insurance and im not American, so I will be paying for it either way

My question is can I buy it online or from a supplier without going to a Doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I did. No RX was asked for. We bought 2 ResMed aircurve VAUTO. Both were slightly used one about a month and the other about a week. 

You can see prices by going to Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of the site. Then call and talk to them. I hade 2 great experiencies with them.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2021, 12:08 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Yes I did. No RX was asked for. We bought 2 ResMed aircurve VAUTO. Both were slightly used one about a month and the other about a week. 

You can see prices by going to Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of the site. Then call and talk to them. I hade 2 great experiencies with them.

What does RX mean?

I just called a CPAP provider and they said they wont accept me because I dont have insurance! Even though I said I would pay for it. They also asked for a perscription which im not sure I have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rx is a prescription.

Call Supplier #2
If they ask for a prescription tell them you are a Foreign National and can send them a pic of your passport.

Supplier #2 because they deal with foreign purchases.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rx refers to a prescription. And I'm not surprised the CPAP supplier refused to sell to you. They can make more money by renting it to you, getting payments from both you and insurance. That's what they're hoping for.

Look at Supplier #2 as Stacey mentioned. See what they have available and give them a call to discuss buying your machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2021, 01:11 PM)Gideon Wrote: Rx is a prescription.

Call Supplier #2
If they ask for a prescription tell them you are a Foreign National and can send them a pic of your passport.

Supplier #2 because they deal with foreign purchases.

Ok I will do that..

Is it easy to setup my machine myself if I buy it myself?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes any of the machines are easy enough to self setup.

It is your choice, but maybe a ResMed would be your best brand to seek. What PAP machine make and model have you had before?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can guide you to an optimized therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,727 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 526 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 331 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 790 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study melody 11 899 11-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.