Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Do I really need CPAP?
RE: Do I really need CPAP?
(12-20-2017, 03:48 PM)paulag1955 Wrote: Poor sleep will also affect your ability to lose weight.

Yep...  it's a vicious cycle.

Also, losing weight may or may not preclude the need for CPAP in the future.  There are many causes of apnea, weight is merely one factor.
I had undiagnosed, untreated apnea when my BMI was below 20 (31 now).
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much.

Ok. Thank you!

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW on BMI: I'm 5' 11" and at 300 pounds last year before bariatric sleeve surgery, BMI was 41. Now, a year later, at about 215 pounds and the BMI is between 26-29. As I said before, my Mixed Apnea AHI halved from 70 plus to 35 by the near 100 # weight loss. Sad because I was down to 199 #, but medication change has me creeping up to 215 recently.

lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you try out a xPAP you may be pleasantly surprised.
For a long time I thought that I was just lazy. In the evening I would watch a lot of TV. I wasn't really sleepy, I just didn't feel like doing much.
My machine has given me my evenings back and I am much more motivated to lose the extra weight.
I feel like I am about 20 years younger.
My untreated AHI is about 16 to 19.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea six or so years ago and just flat refused to even consider CPAP. In the following years I lost 60 lbs, exercised and got into pretty good shape for an old lady...however last year I had another sleep study because I was just so damn tired. My sleep apnea had actually gotten worse despite the weight loss and getting into shape. Wasn't expecting that. I bit the bullet and got a machine and it's been pretty darn amazing. Still can't say I "like" putting it on at night but I sure like how much more alive I feel! Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for sharing your story.
This is very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.