Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Do I really need CPAP?
RE: Do I really need CPAP?
(07-22-2016, 10:35 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: In a word yes.
You have a few hour window on the sleep study. Likely on a typical night at home you are more relaxed, sleep deeper and are worse than the study showed.

I had OA for years but had not heard og sleep apnea. My wife called it holding my breathe in my sleep.

So as an over the road trucker sleeping alone weeks at a time, suffocating in my sleep unawares I started waking with raging blood pressures, racing heart rate and landing in ERs all over the nation about once a week.

Then a heart attack in Butte Montana begining in my sleep finished my driving career.
Few yrs later SA discovered, on the machine, no afib or rythem problems off all but one bp med from five. I can think and remember stuff again.
Yeah you need to committ to the machine. Theres a price to pay for not doing so.

Thanks Ghost1958 for sharing this very scary time in your life! I hope the people who think they can do without their PAPs read your post, heed your warning & get past the denial period!! Bless you for sharing!
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. The machine will make a huge difference in your life. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and other related issues a few years ago. I started to do a lot of reading and realized that sleep apnea was a large contributor to high blood pressure. My wife had been bugging me to get tested for sleep apnea for years (actually decades) but I just thought what's the big deal, I snore. I have been on a CPAP machine now for a couple of years and most of my heart and blood pressure issues and disappeared or lessened dramatically.

I spend quite a bit of time with a team and wagon in the mountains away from all amenities. I can feel myself slowly draining after a couple of days away from my machine. When I get back home it takes me a couple days to get back to normal. The changes happen slowly; they get better and get worse slowly.

Do yourself a favor and get a machine. And really try to stick with it. You won't regret it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too did want to believe I needed a cpap machine. Mine was mild too and I did not think I had daytime sleepiness, foggy head, or bad moods until a few weeks into therapy. Now after 4 months and my first 4 hours of good sleep, I went out side and spent 2 hours clearing palmetto stumps with an ax and crowbar. Not bad for a 68 year old man.

Therapy is not that bad once you get used to it and it can fix things that you did not think we're broke. So, just go with the flow....... Pun intended
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2016, 10:11 PM)Pumpino Wrote: The average oxygen drop was 3% and the lowest it got to was 90%. Is that low?

That is low-normal, on the borderline of being a medical concern. I've seen reports here of drops down into the 60's! That is low.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2016, 10:11 PM)Pumpino Wrote: The average oxygen drop was 3% and the lowest it got to was 90%. Is that low?

Apparently those small drops in oxygen level are enough to trigger your body to wake up and breathe. Otherwise the level would drop even further. This could be happening 10 times an hour if your AHI is 10. This prevents you from falling into the deeper levels of sleep needed for you to function normally. The consequences are the tiredness you're feeling and perhaps other things such as impaired cognition and issues with your mood such as anxiety or anger.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pumpino,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yes, you still need CPAP, just stick with it, it does get better. I know it can take some getting used to, but don't give up, it will help you in the long run.
Much success to you on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the encouragement and info.

My challenge last night was a blocked nose due to a slight cold. After two hours, I removed the mask as I couldn't breathe. However, after removing it, my nose seemed to improve, which was frustrating. Maybe the constant air was making it worse. I have the humidity setting set to four. I probably need a nasal spray or just wait and ride it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
May try bumping your min pressure up to 8.
I wouldnt be able to breathe at 6 without a cold and i have open nostrils.

When i have a cold i max out the humidity . In a few min i open up.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your humidity needs to go up or down. Too low for you or too high and the nasal passages swell. I'd also recommend getting a Full Face Mask (FFM) for those times when you just don't have good air flow though your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2016, 04:31 PM)Pumpino Wrote: Thanks for the encouragement and info.

My challenge last night was a blocked nose due to a slight cold. After two hours, I removed the mask as I couldn't breathe. However, after removing it, my nose seemed to improve, which was frustrating. Maybe the constant air was making it worse. I have the humidity setting set to four. I probably need a nasal spray or just wait and ride it out.

Hi Pumpino,
Are you using a heated hose? Also, use the preheat setting on your machine. That allows the water to be warm and helps to open up the nasal passages.

I use a nasal spray (XLEAR brand) daily due to congestion, also nasal rinses.

As far as humidity, more isn't always better. Adjust up or down to see what works best for you.
Dreaming
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.