Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Do I really need CPAP?
RE: Do I really need CPAP?
(07-22-2016, 07:45 PM)Pumpino Wrote: I completed a home sleep test a few weeks ago and obtained an AHI of 10, which suggests mild sleep apnea. During the hours I managed to sleep, I had 44 hypopneas, 6 obstructive and a few centrals.

I began a trial with the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and the P10 nasal pillow mask 1.5 weeks ago and found it challenging. I'd eventually fall asleep with a minimum pressure of 6, but would wake up after 2-3 hours and take it off.

However, my sleep technician gave me the Philips Respironics DreamWear Nasal Pillows mask earlier this week, and I've managed to leave it on all night and sleep reasonably well. The mask is less obtrusive and it makes a huge difference not having the hose connected directly onto my face.

The machine is reporting 0-1 events per night, so assuming that it's accurate, it's doing its job. The maximum pressure never goes above 7, but the range is set to 6-15.

However, many people on this board have high AHIs and I wonder if I really need to purchase a machine and continue using it when my condition is mild. Should I make the decision based on if I feel better, or make the commitment regardless? Thanks. Smile

Like you my sleep study suggests mild apnea. My experience so far with different masks and AHI 1-2 has left me very skeptical. Many studies are recommending lifestyle changes for mild apnea. I have started weight loss program (DASH). Will I continue CPAP? Even though my numbers don't necessarilly jive with even mild apnea I would still continue with if it made me feel better. So far I haven't slept much with the machine and last night without it I slept 5hrs which is excellent for me.

With all that being said I will give it another try this week before I make my final decision.

Good luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2016, 07:24 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Are you using a heated hose? Also, use the preheat setting on your machine. That allows the water to be warm and helps to open up the nasal passages.

Yeah, it's a heated hose. My sleep technician set the temperature to 27 degrees with the humidity set to 4. I don't know how that compares to most people, but I haven't had any issues with those settings.

Last night, I used a nasal spray before bed, and kept the machine on all night, so it did the job. Now I just have to keep using the machine and try to get used to it. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2016, 05:06 PM)Pumpino Wrote:
(07-24-2016, 07:24 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Are you using a heated hose? Also, use the preheat setting on your machine. That allows the water to be warm and helps to open up the nasal passages.

Yeah, it's a heated hose. My sleep technician set the temperature to 27 degrees with the humidity set to 4. I don't know how that compares to most people, but I haven't had any issues with those settings.

Last night, I used a nasal spray before bed, and kept the machine on all night, so it did the job. Now I just have to keep using the machine and try to get used to it. Wink

Believe it or not, you will get used to it. I get a little nervous thinking about going without it for even a day.Eat-popcorn
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.