Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Do i need a cpap machine?
Do i need a cpap machine?
hey guys i'm new here 

I recently rented a cpap machine because I have respiratory problems and feel constantly sleepy. I have had the machine for about 3 days now.

I have done a sleep test a year ago however it only showed mild obstructive hypoapneas with an overall respiratory disturbance index  of 4/ an hour. The episodes lasted up to 30 seconds in duration but oxygen saturation never went below 90%. I only slept for 3 hours during the test, and I feel like my sleep quality varies from day to day depending on my nose which tends to be blocked most of the time. 

I have reviewed the results from last night on the sleepyhead software.
Which shows an apnea/hypoapnea index of 0.87

Large Leak 16.23%
Clear Airway 0.26
Obstructive 0.17
Unclassified Apnoea 0.00
Hypopnoea 0.43
RERA 0.26

my question is, is my case too mild to require a cpap machine? 

As of yet i am seeing no major improvements i still feel sleepy, I have read that people experience a change almost overnight when using a cpap machine is this true?

thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do i need a cpap machine?
Hi sleepysleepy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes, it can take quite a while before you notice improvements, just stick with it; it does get bettter over time.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey trish thank you for your reply.

I have the machine for 4 weeks. I'm hoping to see some results Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day sleepysleepy. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Taking your last question first - some lucky people experience an immediate response, waking up fully refreshed and full of beans. But for most of us it's a journey - and often two steps forward, one step back. As Trish said, most people take a while to adjust, but it does get better with persistence and some gentle support.

If your sleep study showed an RDI of only 4 without treatment, then that is already considered within the normal range and treatment is not indicated. Did the sleep lab / doctor recommend that you go onto CPAP, or was this your own choice? It would be great if you could upload the test results for us to see.

The snap-shot results you gave us indicate that the machine is working well, but there may be a lot of other factors at play in making you tired. For one thing, you need to use the machine all night to get maximum benefit - three hours ain't enough. I know this is easier said than done. Secondly, your leaks may be causing you some disturbance, especially if they are blowing into your eyes or making "face farts". Is your mask comfortable - not too tight, not too loose? If you have problems breathing through the nose, I assume you're mouth-breathing with the mask on - this can lead to dry mouth and sore throat, which are also irritants.

I assume you've had all the normal medical tests - thyroid, glucose, vitamins etc to rule out any other cause of your fatigue?

Some additional details of your machine would also help us help you work out what's going on. What is the exact model - CPAP, Elite, AutoSet etc? What are your minimum and maximum pressure settings? Are you using the ramp or EPR? Finally, could you post a SleepyHead screenshot, which will answer a whole lot of questions?

(Sorry for all the questions, but it helps us see the full picture, which will help you with your treatment decisions).
Post Reply Post Reply
hey DeepBreathing, your reply is most appreciated, I will attempt to be as most detailed as I can. 

To be honest this has been my own decision I just want to completely rule out sleep apnea. 
The respiratory Dr who conducted the sleep test suggested I persist with controlling the allergic component in my upper airway no suggestion of cpap was made by a professional. A dentist did ask if I had sleep apnea because I had trouble breathing from my nose during a dental session.
I tend to wake up with headaches in the morning. I have noticed most of my breathing is through the mouth during sleep, it is heavy and sometimes interrupted breathing.

okay so it is the AutoSet model. the minimum pressure is 4 and i'm not sure about the maximum. Everything has been set up from the cpap retailer I hired it from. I will have a consultation with them in 2 weeks. 

I have had the normal tests for fatigue. Nothing has come up. 

sleepy head data:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/XqzCC"><a href="//imgur.com/XqzCC"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="w7mTZFR"><a href="//imgur.com/w7mTZFR"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sleep test results:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/aKjTl"><a href="//imgur.com/aKjTl"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/NyXSs"><a href="//imgur.com/NyXSs"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

the consensus appears to be that I am in no need of a cpap but there is no harm in trying it.
Post Reply Post Reply
hi.  I would guess you are having more sleep disruption using the machine than without.  still, the therapy looks promising to reduce apneas once you had better leak results and probably better settings.

If this were mine, I'd try to control the leaks and other disruptions by getting a narrower band of pressures, and select a more effective pressure.

setting changes I would make are:

Set EPR from 3 to 2.
Set minimum pressure to 7.
Set maximum pressure to 10.

and try to stay at one setting for at least 3 days to see if those result in (better numbers), (better sleep).

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2017, 10:33 PM)sleepysleepy Wrote: my question is, is my case too mild to require a cpap machine?

In a conversation with a technician at a sleep lab, I learned that *most* people have sleep apnea events when they sleep. However, in order for you to be "diagnosed," you must have AHI of at least 5 - otherwise most insurance won't cover treatment. However, even "undiagnosed" people - those with AHI below 5 (mild cases, so to speak) - often experience improvement in sleep quality via PAP therapy.

So, if you're happy with your sleep quality and feel rested and energized after a night of untreated sleep, then the answer to your question may be "yes." It doesn't sound to me like that's the case, however.

Please understand - I'm new to this scene myself, so I know very little. This is all hearsay and speculation, so please take this food for thought with a grain of salt. Many members on this board seem to have real expertise and offer advice that's probably better than mine.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
update:
some data from last two nights

02.06.017 I consider this to be unreliable due to the large leak percentage

AHIApnoea Hypopnea Index 2.28

Large Leak 34.23%
Clear Airway 0.08
Unclassified Apnoea 0.08
Obstructive 1.69
Hypopnoea 0.42
RERA 0.51

AHIApnoea Hypopnea Index 1.32

Large Leak 15.62%
Clear Airway 0.41
Unclassified Apnoea 0.31
Obstructive 0.10
Hypopnoea 0.51
RERA 0.41

what is an acceptable number for large leaks?

I am waking up in the morning as if from a deep slumber, feels like a deeper form of sleep.

What do you make of the increase in the AHI?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,721 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,287 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.