Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device?
RE: Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device?
The question was answered, but you may not have understood.  At the sleep clinic, unless you have an oxygen desaturation event of a fairly significant size, the apnea or breathing event is ignored - it happened, but is not counted.  Likewise, any event that happens when your brainwaves do not indicate you are sleeping is ignored and not counted.  They happened, but are excluded from the AHI calculation.   At home, since the xPAP machine is not integrated with either an oxygen sensor or an EEG, all events that are detected are included in the AHI calculation, resulting in a higher number, possibly very significantly higher, than the number from the sleep clinic.

What you may want to ask your doctor, is why the numbers from home are so different from his.  See if you are satisfied with his answer, but I would wager that the difference is primarily due to how many events the clinic excludes for various reasons.  All those reasons may be valid too, but it is unlikely your home machine is malfunctioning.  The easiest way to find out is to try a different machine at home to see if your current one is broken.

Different issue - since you seem completely sure your doctor is correct and your home machine is broken, why are you here?  Why not simply follow your doctor’s advice?  What are you looking for from the people here?
Post Reply Post Reply
I answer first to the last question: I don"t know which results are correct. But you know...
In the event of a discrepancy, I should rather rely on the doctor, not the opinion of the forum, don't I? Anyway, this is what the moderator writes.
Maybe I'm unnecessarily here ...
I will try to disappear.
From what you write, it seems that testing apnea in the hospital does not make sense, does it?

PS' It seems that now these data (from sunday) are close to hospitals ...

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Testing in the hospital absolutely may make sense, at least for titration and testing to see which type of therapy would work best, assuming any xPAP is appropriate to your situation.  More and more insurance companies in the U.S.A. are moving away from using hospital based testing unless there are problems with home testing or unless something unusual shows up in that home test.  They are also moving toward using APAP machines to allow for titration testing at home instead of at the hospital.  

It seems the insurance companies here have a lot of faith in these home machines, but even then, there are times where only an in-lab or hospital test can determine exactly what is needed.  You have to decide if you have faith in your doctor (many of us here have had bad experiences with sleep doctors) and be ready to ask him lots of questions until you are sure you are comfortable with your treatment plan or therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple examples - if you have periodic leg movement disorder, it is much more apparent in the hospital testing. Also, if you have positional apneas or REM specific apneas, they are immediately obvious in the hospital testing. However, at least around here, most of the testing seems to be aimed at qualifying you for insurance payment rather than determining your problems or the best treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it think.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lech, your symptoms and results will not be consistent. You were measured on a good night by the hospital, and on that single data point, they deemed you do not have central apnea or CSR. Similarly, you had a good night on Sunday, so you have now concluded your results confirm the hospital, however when your more usual pattern resumes tomorrow, the results will be wrong. When looking at data, it is trends and long-term averages that we treat. No single hour or night of data stands on its own. We know that your AHI and CSR has wide variations, and that these events were present before you heart attack, but less frequently. The fact they used to occur one day per week then, and now occur 6 days out of 10 does not mean the good day(s) are a cure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s one reason why home testing and titration are becoming more “popular”. People don’t have typical nights when they are hooked up to all that machinery and when they are closely watched all night. What happens when you are in familiar surroundings and comfortable is far more likely to be real.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear adversaries,
Have you noticed what I wrote in some previous post (# 82) that my device showed 240 events per hour? It is physically impossible! 
(The situation that someone insists on the opinion about the superiority of readings from my machine vs. hospital readings without reading this information I would exclude. It would be completely frivolous.) If you add a permanent mask leak, which also affects the results I really don’t understand why you take these results as granted?
I will add to this information, which I obtained today from ResMed Co. Well, my machine will be picked up after calibration tomorrow. It turned out that she was in a tragic state, for example engine and motherboard were replaced. I will pick up a quite new machine tomorrow.

Will we be able to stop saying that my results from the device were more reliable than from the hospital? 
At least, did I sow some uncertainty in my interlocutors?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your 240 events per hour was based on less than 2-minutes of run-time. I am not your adversary, and am only here to help. So until attitudes change, I will humbly step aside, wish you well, and let you carry-on with whatever beliefs or denial suit you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
You are definitely not my adversary, you help me. But basically everybody has accepted the thesis that my device is the credible one. Without a shadow of a doubt. 
Why?

"Only a fool has no doubt."
Karel Capek
Bertrand Russell

(I wouldn't want anyone to take this quote, this is a very general sentence)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 5 118 4 minutes ago
Last Post: Pebble
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,664 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 334 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 385 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 367 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,078 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,225 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.