Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Dreading bedtime.....
Sad 
Dreading bedtime.....
I received my first cpap (resmed airsense10) last thursday afternoon. Friday morning I woke up to find myself almost unable to move with an excruciating pain in the dead center of my back. I stood up, removed the mask and could hardly catch a full breath. I walked around for a minute and quickly concluded this wasnt going to help. I turned the shower on, still unable to fully breathe, on the hottest water I could stand and the very second the water hit my back, I felt every muscle in my chest and back release and took my first full breath of air. I stood there for a solid 15 minutes until the pain had subsided enough that I could function and get ready for work.

Saturday morning, same ordeal but more pain than I've ever felt. I was pretty useless the entire day even after taking 3 50mg ultrams thoughtout the day.

Sunday morning, after trying a pillow under my mattress and sleeping on my non dominant side, same thing but not as rought as the previous morning.

Monday morning, different side of the bed, pain killer right before bed, same thing.

This morning, new mask (took nasal pillow back and got nasal mask), same thing. I went to the Dr today to seek advice and was given a prescription for flexeril to take right before bed and a dental scrip for something called a mandibular advancement device. I plan to see the dentist this week or next.

So, tonight I sit here scared to death to use the cpap again tonight. With over 40 events per hour and a high bpm of 208 during my regular sleep (according to sleep lab), can I afford not to wear the mask?

Any advice? Anyone else experience this type of pain and muscle spasms?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreading bedtime.....
i have muscle spasms that are dreadful - but cpap makes them better, not worse. Do you have a theory on why it is happening? is it a position you are laying in? an inability to relax with the equipment?
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you checked your data? See anything?

Post a copy of your SD card
if you're willing.

Vary sleeping position if possible. Maybe try sleeping in a recliner if you've got one.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
sunmanx, if it helps, you are not alone in your experience. We hear periodically from people who had the same or a similar thing happen. It happened to me too -- not long after the start of my cpap therapy I woke up in the middle of the night one night with hideous low back pain. It took months of massage, therapeutic yoga, physical therapy exercises, heat, flexeril, advil..... before it dissipated, but it finally did. I never really figured the whole thing out and people have made suggestions, e.g., you're sleeping more deeply and staying in one position too long, you're tense trying to get used to cpap, etc. I have no idea!

But I encourage you to keep treating your sleep apnea. Whichever way you go with that, I hope you find quick relief from your back pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
sunmanx,
As others have said, this seems to be a common experience with new users. I don't see that CPAP itself would cause you back pain. The pain you are experiencing possibly comes from sleeping in the same position for too long.

When I first started, I was very anxious about the whole experience, was afraid to move too much at night, and I know I was definetly breathing too hard. When I woke up in the morning, not only did I have back aches, I had trouble breathing. With every breath I took, there was discomfort in the diaphragm area.

I would suggest you get a complete checkup by your doctor, especially see a cardiologist just to be sure that pain is not something serious.
Also, try to relax when going to bed, and breath normally. For some, it takes time to adapt, don't give up.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sunmanx,
Some people experience aerophagia or air swallowing .Some mild some severe. Mine was severe and painful.This may or may not be the case.you could ask your RT to lower the pressure by one to see if it makes any difference. This of course means more apneas can happen but in order for one not to give up may be worth it until your body adjusts .You could try EPR to see if that helps. Were you having leaks? Did you manage to download the data?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2015, 09:02 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I would suggest you get a complete checkup by your doctor, especially see a cardiologist just to be sure that pain is not something serious.

I suggest also seeing a chiropractor. I have been helped a great deal by chiropractic care.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your bedtime "stack" HalfAsleep 19 937 02-17-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: drago7579
Smile Can't Wait for Bedtime! iSnore 20 5,439 07-31-2015, 08:22 AM
Last Post: iSnore
  Oh yuk, it's bedtime. retired_guy 21 6,540 09-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
  [News] Research report on importance of having a regular bedtime grumpycat 8 3,827 06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Zorki1c
  [News] Bedtime regularity predicts CPAP compliance ApneaNews 3 2,867 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Ohmy Dreading titration sleep study johns019 31 18,333 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Last Post: johns019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.