Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] DreamStation DSX500H11 max air pressure cannot change down
DreamStation DSX500H11 max air pressure cannot change down
Just started having trouble with my DSX500H11 after having it for four years: the pressure is maxing out very rapidly (nearly immediately) when turned on. Ramp up seems broken and the max pressure is being ignored. I have no idea how or why, but it's blowing so hard it's pushing my nostrils widely open and it's uncomfortable to sleep. Machine sounds like it's just running at max blower speed. I no longer have the doctor or clinic since moving and no longer have health insurance so I'm flying solo in taking care of this device and my sleep apnea. 

Not sure how to proceed with diagnostics of the machine. Any thoughts? 

I suspect I can offload the data via the CF card and so forth, but not sure what software (if any) I should be looking at to see if there is information that's just not available on the machine setup menu, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: DreamStation DSX500H11 max air pressure cannot change down
cpapaw,
Download the OSCAR software and someone here can take a look at your data.  
We might be able to see what the issue is.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

You must have a SD card in your Cpap while sleeping.  Once you have the software, use the link below to help guide you in organizing a chart.

Use the F12 key (on a Mac, Fn+F12) to take a Screenshot of the daily page.
Select the Standard View.

Be sure to use the Attachment Feature to post your chart here.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks- so here is the brief period of time I used it last night where it immediately was pushing full bore. I think the pressure amount is lying here since the pressure, just starting off was higher than what I've experienced in the last year at any given time when it's maxed out, so I think it was at least 19 on the pressure in reality. Also, I was awake this entire 22 minutes just stressing out about the pressure: https://files.catbox.moe/jzr4v3.png
Post Reply Post Reply
cpapaw,
A starting pressure of 4 cm is pretty low. Sometimes, what we feel doesn't relate to what is actually happening. Your machine's maximum pressure is set at 12.5, so during the brief time you are showing, that's where your pressure stays. It's not possible that your pressure was at 19. It can't go any higher than what the max pressure is set.
I'm not saying you're wrong (the machine could be malfunctioning), but the chart just doesn't show a rise to 19.

I would like to see a chart with a full night or a few hours at least to see what your pressure is doing. 22 minutes is hard to glean anything from or to make any recommendations, especially if you were awake.

Although, I do think you need a little higher minimum pressure, maybe 6 or 7 with Flex set at 2, and ramp off. The reason for a higher pressure is the snores that I see. The snores will cause your pressure to rise.

Can you give us a couple Screenshots of a night where you slept longer? If we can see that you don't actually need that max pressure, then we can lower it.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hear what you're saying OpalRose, and thanks, but I promise you the machine is not reporting the correct pressure. When I wake up in the mornings the pressure has been at the max for years, but now this max pressure is happening instantly and it's WAY WAY beyond 12.5. I guarantee that it's way above 12.5. It is literally causing pain on my nostrils from pushing them too hard. I guess the machine must be malfunctioning. Problem is I didn't snore at all during this period of time. I was litterally just laying there awake and listening to my spouse and reading with it on.

I do wonder: is there a way to reset the entire system to a factory default with all memory and patterns completely obliterated so I can reset things to where I want them to be again? I'm wondering if somehow wiping out the firmware entirely might be the simplest options beyond actual hardware failure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting experience @OpalRose. I did a reset function, set things to where I wanted them again, took your advice above about raising the start/lower pressure, but also lowered the ceiling pressure some (to 9 just in case and t observe a difference) and also tightened the back head straps to a point where it was just barely comfortable. Last night things were better. Seemed "normal" again. Will try to run this a few days and then attempt to collect reports to share here with you for observations/thoughts. Thanks so much for the input so far. I really hope that there's not a firmware/hardware problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resetting a machine sometimes helps.  Glad that was better for you.
Repost a chart when you have time.

BTW, I'm assuming you know that your machine was recalled.  Did you register it?
Are you waiting for a replacement?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose. Yeah, but I think I'll just replace the vortex chamber myself with a non-foam version. I might try to see if I can get it replaced by myself. Like I said, I live in a new place, no health insurance, etc. so I'm just worried they may want to interface with some "healthcare provider" or such to maintenance/replace it and I simply don't want to risk losing the device altogether and then figure out how to get another one on the sly. I can't live without it now so it's a big fear.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 17 33 minutes ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 366 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.