Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9
Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9
Hello Friends,

I am longtime mold illness sufferer. I won't give the long backstory, but suffice to say, I have struggled to find and remediate sources of mold in my previous and current lodging.

I realized that one source of mold I haven't considered, despite it being sitting there on my bedside table, is my CPAP.

I clean the tubing, mask, and humidifier every week or two using a combination of hydrogen peroxide + EC3 + hand soap. What I don't clean is the inaccessible innards of the CPAP unit. Watching this video suggests I may be breathing in all kinds of accumulated nastiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWsRLbUg...PAPReviews

Aside from this potential issue, my unit is great!

What do folks suggest - can I replace the motor easily, and if not, should I get it repaired locally?

Also - I have a newer model CPAP that I've never used. May try switching to that.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9
Your CPAP machine is not normally a repository of mold as is simply passes room air through a fan. It has nothing to sustain mold reproduction, so is only a reflection of the environment in which it runs. The humidifier is on the back-end and the chamber and tube are easily sanitized or replaced. If your home is contaminated, then your CPAP may also be. I have used PAP devices through their full life (over 22K hours) without a problem, and have used them at home as well as hotel rooms, our cottage and even on a boat. I say, ignore Uncle Nicko and don't worry about it. He is a Youtube personality and schister that lives on the social media clicks he can get by creating issues like this. Don't let him create problems or phobias for you that are simply there to scare you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider, I appreciate the perspective. Perhaps the video is at odds with what happens to most CPAPs, but mine ran in a contaminated environment for years, so it may well be moldy and need disassembly and cleaning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I use Control III Disinfectant Cleaning Solution containing a blend of alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and alkyl dimethyl ethyl benzyl ammonium chloride. It seems to work well and was recommended by a reputable medical source that uses it in their sleep lab. It is not an organic, non-toxic product, and caution must be taken when using it.

The company offers a free sample at http://www.controlthree.com/samples.html.

The purpose of the filter is to keep the machine free from dust and crud. When my S10 turbine was replaced after 22K hours, there was none of the dust and crud shown in the video.

Best.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
If your CPAP ran in a contaminated environment for years, then you lived in that environment full-time. The CPAP is probably not better or worse than the environment in which it runs. It is just a conduit for air from your room, and the potential for any mold, mildew or bacterial growth is where moisture and heat are added, so from the humidifier section to the mask. There is no doubt that any CPAP will acquire the odor of its operating environment, whether it is musty, smoky, cooking odors or pets. Of those, smoking odor is the most persistent and can remain months or years after exposure. I can see how a machine might become disgusting with mold or mildew, but again, it's a reflection of where it was operating over an extended time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2024, 09:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If your CPAP ran in a contaminated environment for years, then you lived in that environment full-time. The CPAP is probably not better or worse than the environment in which it runs.  It is just a conduit for air from your room, and the potential for any mold, mildew or bacterial growth is where moisture and heat are added, so from the humidifier section to the mask.  There is no doubt that any CPAP will acquire the odor of its operating environment, whether it is musty, smoky, cooking odors or pets. Of those, smoking odor is the most persistent and can remain months or years after exposure.  I can see how a machine might become disgusting with mold or mildew, but again, it's a reflection of where it was operating over an extended time.

I'd like to politely add a counter-point: moisture, oxygen, and warmth, are three things mold needs to thrive. AirSense has heated tubing and the internals generate some heat and the humidifier offers moisture. It's definitely possible for mold to grow within a CPAP machine, depending on the environment.

OP, I think you're wise for considering your S9 as a possible source of mold. I have an S10 and only recently realized mine might be a source, too. Unfortunately, anyone who hasn't dealt with mold mycotoxin and often-related health conditions (CIRS, MCAS, HIT, POTS, EDS, etc), typically don't know exactly what that entails. Like, I didn't know about any of this until I started dealing with it myself, too.

To answer your question: you should be able to find a tutorial/guide on Youtube, for how to disassemble your S9. I don't know your technical level/aptitude for electronics, so it would depend on that too, I guess. If you're at least semi-comfortable, you could start disassembling it and if you get too overwhelmed, you could abort and re-assemble. The key is to take pictures as you disassemble, so you have a reference of how to reassemble if needed, and/or just carefully label/sort/whatever all the parts you remove/disassemble.
Trying to find someone to take the machine to and repair, probably wouldn't be the best idea for you. Even if you find a shop/person to disassemble and clean it, if you're like me, you'll probably question if they actually cleaned it well enough. Just because, again, not many people understand the full implications and extent to how mold toxins/spores work and affect some of us. They probably wouldn't clean it well enough, or use the proper cleaning solution (like EC3). 

I recently purchased some EC3 and have been debating using it with my AirSense 10. OP, have you been using it for a while on your S9? Has it caused any damage to the hose or water container? How have you been cleaning yours? I have some of the regular EC3, which is diluted for cleaning spray, and I also have some EC3 laundry solution. I was contemplating soaking vs spray cleaning vs idk.

Edit: by the way, I'm not saying your S9 is definitely contaminated with mold! All I mean is I'm glad you considered it, because it took me a while to consider it, too. If you decide to clean it, hopefully my answer may help some, that's all. Personally, I'm not sure if your S9 has mold in it, or my S10. I'm going to check though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fellow mold illness sufferer here. I've never used ec3. Is it safe with chemical sensitivities? They often go hand in hand. Does it help get rid of chemicals e.g. in laundry?

I guess mold and chemicals are something to consider with a used machine, also. I have a trip to ABQ this summer and was thinking of getting a used machine to use so my home one doesn't get contaminated.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started CPAP, they didn't recommend changing parts as often. I became ill with allergy like symptoms that lasted year round. I went on vacation to another state and thought I'd finally have relief. I didn't. When I came home, we went through everything that had gone with me and the only consistent was the CPAP (we'd already eliminated laundry stuff, etc). I talked to my DME (who was a dream) about what could be contaminated. They sent me a new hose, filters, mask, everything. His opinion is that it wasn't the machine (for the reasons said above) but stuff could be living in the hose. At that point, the hoses were not flat inside, but ringed with the wires. It took about a month for the symptoms to abate. Since then I change out everything every chance I can. I even have extra unopened hoses to use in case the supplier (the latest one are idiots) doesn't ship things.

I don't do excessive cleaning of hoses but change them out. I also don't use the humidifier unless I think I need to. So not in summer. Really only when the heat is on or I am congested from other allergies.

Since then, I've not had any issues with mold allergies from my CPAP. Instead, it helps with my other allergies (humidity and filtered air).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's good information, thanks. I just worry about contamination inside the machine after my dad was on oxygen. The concentrators that came from other households pumped constant room fresheners into the room even after changing out filters etc.

The other thing that might make a difference is washing with tap water if things don't entirely dry. Our water here has pink slime; I notice it in the shower, kitchen sink, and cat bowls so I've been trying to wash things with filtered water. I need to get another hose so I can alternate, I think if it dried well that would probably take care of it.

Lisa
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, all. I took apart the Resmed S9, it was really easy. You need nothing more than a tweezers and a Torx screwdriver. Visually, I can see no contamination. However, It's possible that the blower motor has mold in it.

Agree w/other poster that
a) most folks don't understand how insidious mold can be
b) CPAP is a likely place for it to accumulate

ec3 and Benefect 30 both come highly recommended by my mold expert (in home testing, evaluation). They appear to be great at removing the byproducts of mold that are often found in dust.

I wouldn't hesitate to clean any part of my CPAP and accessories with ec3, in fact, I use it along with hydrogen peroxide.

Finally, I started using a Resmed S11 that I had stored for 2-3 years. Despite its tubing being in what looked like sealed plastic, it had a musty smell. Probably contaminated from sitting on the shelf in my previous residence. I cleaned it thoroughly with the above combo, and it's better now.

In my opinion, CPAPs should smell like nothing at all. If they smell musty, that's not a good sign.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 9 1,542 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 20 612 04-22-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: cps22
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 4 244 04-20-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,578 04-18-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 344 04-18-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: pamm777
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,847 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 193 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.