Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Dry Mouth
Dry Mouth
I recently changed to a Remstar Pro C-Flex + machine with a humidifier. I am still using the Mirage Swift II nasal pillows I was using with my previous machine but am waking up with a dry mouth several times a night. I never had this problem with my previous machine. I am not waking up with my mouth open so I don't think that is the problem.

I have the humidifier turned all to the max. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Belinda
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth
Welcome bearp17. I don't know if the settings are different on the new machine but it sure sounds like you are opening your mouth at some point. Does it show major leaks? Not sure if that is a full data machine or not? If so get the sleepyhead software and you should be able to see a major leak which may be out your mouth. I don't know of any other explanation. We'll wait and see what other suggestions come in. Again welcome you have found the right place for the info.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there anything that gives you your leakage rate? My guess is that you are mouth leaking.

In order to have dry mouth, there must be air passing through your mouth and the only way that happens that I know of is mouth leakage.

The solution could be a chin strap or another might be a full face mask. Of sourse you can have dry mouth with a full face mask. I am battling that problem right now.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bearp17,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap to see if that helps you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! I know it had an SD card but I've never used the software. I'll explore that possibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2014, 08:54 PM)bearp17 Wrote: Thanks! I know it had an SD card but I've never used the software. I'll explore that possibility.
SleepyHead support your machine and the link is at top of the page

As others said, if you cannot keep mouth closed, get chinstrap or full face mask
How much water are you using? two things going on, humidifier turned all to the max and mouth leaks
Post Reply Post Reply
It is quite possible to leave your mouth closed and STILL get a very severe dry mouth, especially with the humidity (set) too low.

[I have been meaning to post about this -- I only just worked this out recently.]

Perhaps the new machine is not delivering as much humidity as the old one despite the max setting you are using.

Or you could be leaking.

What I have noticed:

If you keep your mouth totally closed then it's possible to shut down the saliva glands and if the air is too dry the back will dry out -- it's not that same as open mouth dry mouth since you don't expend all the saliva and have plenty as soon as you work you jaw a bit.

If the humidity is set too low, the area in the back that isn't completely occluded by the tongue will however be quite dry until you get the saliva moving.

There is a qualitative difference between "closed" and "open" mouth dry mouth. The closed version is VERY easy to correct but can be quite dramatic for few seconds. The open mouth version can required getting up for a drink (of water) before you even begin to correct it.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
It is also possible to get dry mouth from the humidifier being too high.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2014, 05:35 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It is also possible to get dry mouth from the humidifier being too high.

Paula,

You are going to need to "edumacate" me on that one. How does one get dry mouth from too much humidity?

Thanks,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL What I meant was the same symptoms as dry mouth.

I've personally never had it that I know of but I can see how it can happen. I imagine it is the dry mouth type where everything is stuck together.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.