Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask
Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask
Diagnosed 14 months ago with MILD obstructive sleep apnea (REI AHI = 13, 1% SPo2 < 90%).  Moderately positional (Non-supine AHI = 6, supine AHI = 16).  Started CPAP at that point.  Tried several masks, discovered mouth breathing and skin reactions to silicone, settled on full fask mask with foam (AirTouch F20).
Biggest problem to continued treatment is excessively dry mouth, despite humidifier and full face mask.
Concerned dry mouth could lead to cavities, have used Xylimelts, helps but unpleasant.

Overall sleep quality (quantitatively and qualitatively) without and with CPAP has not changed.

Given the mild diagnosis, inconvenience of CPAP+mask+Xylitol, really wondering if "the juice is worth the squeeze".

Attached recent OSCAR graphs.  Welcome all thoughts and advice.  Thanks in advance!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask
Welcome

Your low-pressure setting is quite low for an adult and does not provide your best treatment or comfort.  I suggest that you raise it to 7.  That's the lowest you can set it and still control flow limits.  You should also turn off ramp altogether.  You don't need it.

You are showing a large gap in treatment.  Did you get up for that time or did you take off your mask for a rest from treatment?  I know it can be hard, but hopefully, you can train yourself to keep your mask on all night.

I use and like Xylimelts because they stick to my upper gums and I don't worry about choking.  My husband uses Act DryMouth Lozenges.  He likes the honey-lemon flavor. He has never swallowed or choked on them, but he says you have to be careful to place them on one side tucked low between your gums and cheek below your lower teeth.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask
Thank you for those suggestions.  I will make those adjustments to the pressure settings, and try to get comfortable with Zylimelts.  To answer your question about a gap in treatment:  yes, I took the mask off when awakened by my mouth; it was so dry I had trouble separating my cheeks from my gums - it is actually quite painful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 222 04-24-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 127 04-24-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,413 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 177 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 177 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 357 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 971 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.