Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidity set to full
Dry mouth despite humidity set to full
So my machine, Philips Dreamstation CPAP. has been leaving me with a dry mouth for past couple of weeks, even though my humidity is set to the highest setting 5. Now, it's been extremely cold outside recently (-25 or -30C) and therefore the humidity has been low inside, but shouldn't this compensate for the low humidity? What can I do to alleviate this? Can I reduce the pressure slightly, perhaps?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth despite humidity set to full
How much water is the machine using per night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Many times when users Max their humidity and still have dry mouth, it's indicating either a mask or mouth leak. You could post an OSCAR chart and we can help you see what's going on.

Also if your home had very low humidity that can contribute to this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help to know your humidity settings and mode. The manual climate settings provide higher humidity, but you need to have the tube temperature high enough to avoid condensation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been using cpap? Is this something new?

I find that things happen....I never used to mouth breath. Then I started once in a while. And then a lot more. It wasn't fun. My story isn't important. But yours is. I bet with a little bit more information from you you'll get answers that make a huge difference.

I'm in the Toronto area. We've had some cold. Where about are you?

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you try to switch to fixed humidification?
Post Reply Post Reply
Take note if you could be mouth breathing. This alone will leave you with a very dry "cotton mouth" feeling.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It must be mouth breathing.  

You have the humidity as high as it can go, but that seems to be insufficient.  The machine's design is such that it can heavily humidify the air if needs be.  This suggests that your way of sleeping has changed, or is changing.  It happens to many of us who dial in our PAP treatment at which we begin to sleep better, or in a way we haven't for many years.  I believe that this is the case here.

You'll need a cervical collar, which may help, or a chin strap, or you'll have to learn how to accept tape over your mouth.  Even users of full coverage masks report that they get dry mouth because their mouths still lose tone while they sleep and the lips part.  Air still rushes into and out of the mouth, which causes drying.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face  mask, and know that I breathe through my mouth at least some of the time because my nose tends to really clog up so I have to...
I have my Resmed machine set to auto on the hose heat and humidity, and find that I go through a gallon of distilled water about every two - three weeks.  I haven't looked at the machine data in quite a while (and am now having an issue w/ the latest OSCAR - see thread in software support...)
I have a major problem w/ dry / cotton mouth to the point where it often wakes me up...  I'll even have trouble working up enough saliva to deal with it.  Definitely an annoying problem...
ex-Gooserider
Wheelchair using Paraplegic - T5,  Very hairy face, breath via both nose and mouth, so need full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2022, 05:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It would help to know your humidity settings and mode.  The manual climate settings provide higher humidity, but you need to have the tube temperature high enough to avoid condensation.

I have the humidification set to 5, and the tube heat set to 4. There doesn't seem to be any condensation in the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 511 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.