Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP & Ear Problems
CPAP & Ear Problems
Shortly after starting CPAP in April, I developed a serious problem with my left ear. The eardrum would get totally plugged by some type of liquid substance. It would partially drain at times, then fill back up again. The problem is so severe that I totally lose all hearing at times in that ear. 

I finally got in to see an ENT this week, and he suspects a possible inner ear infection. He also said that such infections or plugged ears can be caused by CPAP pressure. My primary physician and my sleep doctor both told me that my ear problems were unrelated to CPAP use. 

My concern is that the ENT told me that sometimes there is nothing that can be done. The patient has to decide whether he or she wants to go without hearing or without the benefits of CPAP therapy. 

Has anyone had similar ear problems or any suggestions as to what I can do?  I was put on antibiotic drops and have a follow up appointment with the ENT in two weeks. 

Steptoe
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP & Ear Problems
I can't help or offer advice, but my CPAP has use definitely exacerbated by sinus and tinnitus problems. I believe I have poor pressure equilibration between my inner and outer ear, and CPAP raises the pressure in the inner ear. I also get severe severe barotrauma when decending in aircraft if the descent is steepish. I can avoid it most time by using 'earplanes' (pressure regulating earplugs). I mention this because it relates to pressure-induced sinus and ear problems.

Like I said, I can't offer any help but my own experience tends to support your ENT guy's advice. Nevertheless, I would do my own research into possible treatments/mitigation because, if you need CPAP, halting it carries its own risk.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have Tinnitus really bad in both ears, and have had for well over 20 yrs., if not more. I can't say that CPAP usage has made it any worse though. 

I've had others tell me it's not actually a hearing issue, but it's the brain generating the noises. Supposedly an indication of sorts of dementia and/or Alzheimer's. 

There's a place in Phoenix called Sound Relief. They specialize in it, and say that they can help. I'm gonna have to get down there and see if they can. 

To the OP......I hope that you can resolve the issue and get some relief. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2021, 10:43 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I have Tinnitus really bad in both ears, and have had for well over 20 yrs., if not more. I can't say that CPAP usage has made it any worse though. 

I've had others tell me it's not actually a hearing issue, but it's the brain generating the noises. Supposedly an indication of sorts of dementia and/or Alzheimer's. 

There's a place in Phoenix called Sound Relief. They specialize in it, and say that they can help. I'm gonna have to get down there and see if they can. 

To the OP......I hope that you can resolve the issue and get some relief. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.  Oh-jeez
I also have tinnitus long term. the way i understand it tinnitus is a result of hearing loss in certain ranges. the brain realizes the hearing loss in those frequencies and replaces it with tinnitus in those frequencies.  nothing to do with dementia. as you know it happens at any age when you have hearing loss.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started ASV therapy, there was a bit of discomfort in the ears. It went away soon after it developed.

Your case may be similar, but I'm only guessing. I'm also only guessing that your case isn't just an either/or regarding sacrificing CPAP therapy or sacrificing hearing. I think there's other solutions than one extreme or the other.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not suppressed when considering the pressures some of these machines are running at. One reason why I don't increase pressure in mine. It should be higher, but waking up with my lungs expanded up like balloons is to much for me. I do have post nasal drip, have to keep snorting at times to get it out. Not sure if CPAP causes that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2021, 09:35 AM)Jeremy H Wrote: I'm not suppressed when considering the pressures some of these machines are running at. One reason why I don't increase pressure in mine. It should be higher, but waking up with my lungs expanded up like balloons is to much for me. I do have post nasal drip, have to keep snorting at times to get it out. Not sure if CPAP causes that as well.

PAP therapy does not inflate your lungs. YOU inflate your lungs while PAP keeps the airway open. 
Unless you're using some kind of ventilator, the pressure supplied by PAP therapy is nowhere near enough to inflate your lungs.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
With a-pap on, pressure is up to 15 in the morning. My lungs are greatly expanded to a point it's uncomfortable. Set to my pressure they do not. It is the machines extreme pressure forcing air into my airway that expands my lungs. Period.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2021, 10:10 AM)Jeremy H Wrote: With a-pap on, pressure is up to 15 in the morning. My lungs are greatly expanded to a point it's uncomfortable. Set to my pressure they do not. It is the machines extreme pressure forcing air into my airway that expands my lungs. Period.

Even at the highest pressure supplied by normal CPAP/APAP, which is 20 cm/H2O, it's much less than 1 psi, which isn't even enough to blow up a balloon much less your lungs.
Period.  Oh-jeez
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Must be my imagination then? In my case it does, period or not. Period .
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,840 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,565 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 997 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.