Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Electricity related horrible CPAP smell
RE: Electricity related horrible CPAP smell
My line conditioner is a TripLite LC1200. I don't think it is quite as good as a "real" UPS. May be cheaper than another Electrician visit so I will check on that one. Thanks for the idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, thats just a conditioner.. Get something that is battery backup... APC usually has good stuff for 50 or 75 bucks that should do the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2018, 12:49 PM)matthewb Wrote: I'm going to sound silly here..well sillier than normal.

I have had a similar issue off and on for a few months, strange "metallic" burnt smell, and only occasionally. Turns out its the meds I was on for my blood pressure, changed something making me "smell" things that weren't there. Doctor has changed the type of med and smells have gone.

this is the kind of thing I had in mind when I said the only common thread throughout the OP's description is the OP.  suggests the problem is the result of something the OP does.  placement of the transformer, aftershave, something kept on the nightstand (clock, lamp, phone charger, scented tissues?), something eaten or breathed, health issues... almost anything.  medication is a good thought too.  someone I knew had their sense of smell go kefflouie as they aged, finally losing it completely after 10 years or so.  hope it turns out to be something simpler like power issues though. OP discounted machine, tubing, filter causes but maybe worth replacing just to rule out completely. for example, I've read non-oem filters can be funky.  how about mask wipes or whatever means used to clean mask?  it's a tough one.  I'm very curious to learn the cause when it becomes evident.
Post Reply Post Reply
A computer UPS won't last very long in a real power failure. Mine have 7 AmpHour batteries, and hold the computers for about five to ten minutes when they are new. IIRC, OpalRose uses a system with either a 35 or 55 AmpHour battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2018, 04:55 PM)pholynyk Wrote: A computer UPS won't last very long in a real power failure. Mine have 7 AmpHour batteries, and hold the computers for about five to ten minutes when they are new. IIRC, OpalRose uses a system with either a 35 or 55 AmpHour battery.

I call "horses for courses" on this one, my unit on the bipap will run for an hour and a half with the humidifier working, nearly 6 without it. All depends on how big a UPS you get.
I agree that the APC 300W ones with the 7.5 Ah batteries, yeah, you might get 10 minutes out of them on a pc which is enough time to shut things down as thats what they are intended to do.

My 1500W unit on the computer will hold the pc, wi-fi router, fibre modem, NAS units, managed switch and monitor for an hour with no issues. it has 20Ah batteries in it.  Just did a self test down to 80% on the one on the pc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sad update. I purchased an APC Pro 100 UPS which includes voltage regulation capabilities and backup, so it wasn't a $50 model. The first night I awoke once to a fairly faint but familiar nasty smell. I think I had a day or two of decent sleep but by the 4th night, the stench had returned and I was forced to stop my mask usage during the night.

This UPS has a digital display of voltage in/out and Amps in and out. I had high hopes that I was going to wake up and see a spike on one of those reading but no luck. A spike may have happened before the stench when I was asleep but nothing showed once I was awake. Out of sheer desperation, I then hooked the UPS into a port on the line conditioner and got 1 night of clean air. Last night, I made it until about 2 AM under the same conditions and then had to give up again.

Earlier in the week I had another trip and once again had no issues at the hotel. I don't vary medication, cologne, tooth paste, machine cleaning or really anything when I travel versus being at home. I'm going fishing this weekend and will be running off a generator. Sadly enough, that may be my next purchase.

I really appreciate everyone's ideas. Like I said, this is about the weirdest thing I have ever tried to figure out. The only thing that is 95% consistent is that I don't have issues if I am drawing power outside the electricity on my block. I am probably going to contact the electric company again for a long term monitor. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2018, 11:58 AM)carlrtx Wrote: The only thing that is 95% consistent is that I don't have issues if I am drawing power outside the electricity on my block. 

Or, it's something else at that location? 
Skunks, perhaps?  Dont-know

[Image: b739c542aca0484f8e3eb191ec6fd77f.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,725 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,208 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 173 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 558 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.