Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Embarrassing Problem
Ohmy 
Embarrassing Problem
I'm a new CPAP user; have been using it for about a month now. My embarrassing problem? For many, many years (at least 25), I've been waking up from 3 to 6 times a night, needing to get up to pee. When I got diagnosed with apnea and started to read up on it, I found that this was one of the listed symptoms. I started CPAP in the hope that it would cure this problem.

So far, no luck. I'm still waking up as often as every 45 minutes and rarely sleep more than 2 hours at a stretch. I'm also more tired than I've ever been. Don't know if this is related to CPAP, or if something else is going on.

The CPAP data says my breathing has improved a lot (waking up 4 times an hour, rather than 40), but it hasn't made any difference in how I feel.

Has anyone else experienced this same situation? Did your CPAP eventually fix it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Embarrassing Problem
Welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post. I have no information for you on your topic. If I did, I would talk to a doctor. You have more information than in the past knowing that your sleep apnea is being treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi atk1031,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with CPAP therapy and hopefully, you can get the problem you are having straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2013, 10:13 AM)atk1031 Wrote: I'm a new CPAP user; have been using it for about a month now. My embarrassing problem? For many, many years (at least 25), I've been waking up from 3 to 6 times a night, needing to get up to pee. When I got diagnosed with apnea and started to read up on it, I found that this was one of the listed symptoms. I started CPAP in the hope that it would cure this problem.

So far, no luck. I'm still waking up as often as every 45 minutes and rarely sleep more than 2 hours at a stretch. I'm also more tired than I've ever been. Don't know if this is related to CPAP, or if something else is going on.

The CPAP data says my breathing has improved a lot (waking up 4 times an hour, rather than 40), but it hasn't made any difference in how I feel.

Has anyone else experienced this same situation? Did your CPAP eventually fix it?

I have the same problem with the numerous nighttime pee problems but I know what causes mine..Old Age!!!

DielaughingCoffee

P.S. maybe too much coffee through the day.Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
Before starting CPAP, I would have to get up only once in a while to pee during sleep periods. But I had to pee a lot during the day.

After CPAP, almost immediately, my rate of peeing went down dramatically. I never get up during sleep periods now. I had no idea over the past 10-15 years the peeing was related to sleep apnea.

I would wake up 6-8 times a night, always look at the clock and try to sleep some more. It took a little while on CPAP but now I sleep without waking up most nights.

I look at the data from my SDCARD once a week in both Sleepyhead and Rescan.

I use an S9 Autoset as well and it is set to 14-20 pressure. My 5th mask is a WISP nasal mask.

Are you getting a lot of leaks on your mask???

Post Reply Post Reply
ThanksThanks for the feedback. Your pre-CPAP pattern sounds exactly like mine (waking up 6 to 8 times a night). How many weeks were you on CPAP before seeing an improvement?

According to the data from my ResMed card, the nose mask I'm using is not leaking (had a little trouble with the nose-mouth mask I tried first), so I'm really disappointed that I'm still waking up constantly, and that I'm waking up feeling more tired every day.

(08-25-2013, 02:00 PM)eplantz Wrote: Before starting CPAP, I would have to get up only once in a while to pee during sleep periods. But I had to pee a lot during the day.

After CPAP, almost immediately, my rate of peeing went down dramatically. I never get up during sleep periods now. I had no idea over the past 10-15 years the peeing was related to sleep apnea.

I would wake up 6-8 times a night, always look at the clock and try to sleep some more. It took a little while on CPAP but now I sleep without waking up most nights.

I look at the data from my SDCARD once a week in both Sleepyhead and Rescan.

I use an S9 Autoset as well and it is set to 14-20 pressure. My 5th mask is a WISP nasal mask.

Are you getting a lot of leaks on your mask???

Post Reply Post Reply
Have you talked to your sleep doc about this? There are issues not CPAP related such as other health problems, medications, sleep hygiene, bed comfort, temp too warm or too cold, etc ...

There are many tips for new CPAP users that can make a difference when starting on CPAP therapy. While an important treatment for obstructive sleep apnea, CPAP is not without its frustrations.
Avoiding 10 common problems http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2013, 10:13 AM)atk1031 Wrote: I'm a new CPAP user; have been using it for about a month now. My embarrassing problem? For many, many years (at least 25), I've been waking up from 3 to 6 times a night, needing to get up to pee. When I got diagnosed with apnea and started to read up on it, I found that this was one of the listed symptoms. I started CPAP in the hope that it would cure this problem.

atk1031, welcome, it's not an embarassing problem, as you mentioned it is a symptom of sleep apnea and you shouldn't be embarassed. One of the things that happens with sleep apnea is when you're deprived of oxygen, your body releases a shot of adrenaline to wake you up. Given enough adrenaline you're in flight-or-fight mode, and that can trigger a feeling of a full bladder. Some males have been misdiagnosed and had prostate surgery, before arriving at a sleep apnea clinic.
I used to be up numerous times a night going to the toilet, mine started to decrease between about 3 -6 months of treatment. Now sometimes I can go a full night without having to get up Big Grin, it's great your AHI has gone from 40 to 4 and it may even improve more. You could get a check up to make sure nothing else is wrong but basically you have to wait and be patient and positive about the treatment. This is a long journey and you have just started your journey.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the feedback. It's a relief to know that someone else has experienced this problem and to be reassured that it could take a few months to correct it. Guess I'm just impatient.

I am exploring other possibilities for the tiredness, since a whole lot of weird things seem to be happening at once, and I'm sure they're not all related to CPAP.

(08-25-2013, 06:18 PM)Tez62 Wrote:

atk1031, welcome, it's not an embarassing problem, as you mentioned it is a symptom of sleep apnea and you shouldn't be embarassed. One of the things that happens with sleep apnea is when you're deprived of oxygen, your body releases a shot of adrenaline to wake you up. Given enough adrenaline you're in flight-or-fight mode, and that can trigger a feeling of a full bladder. Some males have been misdiagnosed and had prostate surgery, before arriving at a sleep apnea clinic.
I used to be up numerous times a night going to the toilet, mine started to decrease between about 3 -6 months of treatment. Now sometimes I can go a full night without having to get up Big Grin, it's great your AHI has gone from 40 to 4 and it may even improve more. You could get a check up to make sure nothing else is wrong but basically you have to wait and be patient and positive about the treatment. This is a long journey and you have just started your journey.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2013, 06:30 PM)atk1031 Wrote: Thank you so much for the feedback. It's a relief to know that someone else has experienced this problem and to be reassured that it could take a few months to correct it. Guess I'm just impatient.

I am exploring other possibilities for the tiredness, since a whole lot of weird things seem to be happening at once, and I'm sure they're not all related to CPAP.
They may or may not be related, quite often there can be multiple sleep disorders associated with sleep apnea so just keep investigating till you find the answers, you are the best one to know when something is wrong with your body. Being compliant with your CPAP is the first step which you seem to have covered, well done.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,906 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,483 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,802 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 373 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 581 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 425 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 255 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.