Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Excited! Getting new (to me) cpap machine today after 20 years!
RE: Excited! Getting new (to me) cpap machine today after 20 years!
The S8s are data capable, but they require a specialized read and specialized cards that are getting hard to find and a little expensive.

But HOLY CRA, er SCHNIKES, Batman! 20 years out of a machine? Like 60,000 freakin hours?!?! Incredible mechanical performance from ANY piece of equipment, especially since they get virtually NO maintenance. That is probably some kind of a CPAP world record. Maybe you should take that one and have it bronzed!

BTW, I've used the S8 Autoset II (normally my travel machine) for probably 8 of the last 12 months. Working perfectly. But I am, and never have been, a person that needs or even has a curiosity to see "data" (it is valuable at certain times (like when you are having unusual problems or trying new equipment (like changing from nasal to FFM), but for the most part, IMO, its importance on a day to day or week to week or even month to month basis is a little overblown (if you pardon the pun))). But my first machine was an S8 Elite and I NEVER in 15,000 hours of use tried or even wanted to pull data. And the only time I really pulled any data in the last year was when I was doing some current draw testing and wanted to see run times.

Some folks have mentioned scouting for a newer machine - I would take into account where your new machine is in terms of percentage of a 15,000 hour lifetime. You should be able to easily check blower run hours and judge that to determine if you need to be looking around.

Unless you just really want to see the data and want a more facilitative machine (is that even a word? If not, it should be...).

It's late and I thin I'm starting to ramble. Sorry bout that.

Off to bed, my bed for the first time in six weeks, and hope it works better than my guest bed. And I'll be back on my primary machine the PR 560, Yawn. Sleepy. Doctor office tomorrow for first follow up since surgery.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm amazed that none of you have heard of Cpap machines lasting for 20+ years. Maybe some of them were built much better back then, and the new ones don't last? It appears that my old one is good to go maybe another 20 years, but now that I've looked around a little at the new stuff, I'm kind of disgruntled and want something new. Besides, IF my old one does finally just quit, I do NOT want to be left without a machine at all. The first symptom that got my doctor wondering if I had apnea, was my blood pressure was 180/130 for years before I started on cpap therapy. Luckily, I have an exceptionally GOOD cardio vascular system and didn't have a heart attack or stroke (more likely).

I am searching for an Airsense 10 Autoset, but this S8 Autoset II seemed like a good deal for now, (I should have maybe read about newer machines a bit longer before buying the Autoset II, but oh well...) and will give me a chance to see if I can even tolerate a new machine or not. What my body does, and what my brain believes are two different things sometimes, LOL. Maybe I'm so used to the old machine, I'll have issues getting used to a new one. I guess I'll find out!

I do also have an Oximeter coming, to see if anything has changed on my oxygen levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the clinicians menu on the used Resmed S8 Autoset II I just got, I notice there is a feature called "factory reset". Should I / would it be best to do that full reset before I attempt to change settings to my settings, or not?
Post Reply Post Reply
Mike, I don't think it would make much difference, however it would purge old user data and reset settings to default. It sure can't hurt.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks!

I have another thing I wanted to ask about. My old cpap is just a dumb blower thing, and it doesn't care if the mask leaks, or if you take the mask off at night for 10 minutes while going to the bathroom and leave it running to be put back on when going back to bed. So on THIS S8 one while set to straight cpap mode, if you have a high leak, OR take the mask off, it shuts OFF the air and says to "check hose"! Then, I can't figure out how to turn it back on? Breathing into the mask doesn't turn it back on. Just pushing the on/off switch like normal doesn't start it blowing air either. I turned OFF everything in the menus that I thought would control it autostarting or autostopping, but it hasn't changed this function

So, why does it shut down like that, and what's the secret to getting it blowing air again? Maybe I just don't have the right setting turned on in the menu's?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure how to solve that problem, MikeBear, but I'm pretty sure you can get the Clinician's Setup Manual for your S8 by following the instructions at the CPAP Setup Manuals link in the black bar at the top of the page. It should have what you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed machines have a feature called Smartstart that when enabled, will start the machine when it detects breathing, and turns it off when you remove your mask. It can be a convenient feature, but if you don't like it, just select OFF in the settings. As suggested above, get the free clinical manual for the S8 Autoset II from the CPAP Setup Manual link at the top of this page.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems now I'm addicted to cpap machines, LOL. I only had the one for 20 years, and now it seems I'm going to have 3. Guess I should have waited a little bit longer and looked around more to find out which was best and latest model before getting the S8. I DID find a ResMed Airsense 10 Autostart for sale at a price I could afford, and tracking says it's making it's way towards me now.

Hopefully I'll have it soon and there's nothing wrong with it, or shipping doesn't ruin it. Then the old GoodKnight and the S8 can go in the closet for emergencies and I'll just start over with the S10. If it lasts me another 20 years, I shouldn't need it after that...
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you will find the data very interesting. You might want to download the free #Sleepyhead software and have a look around while you wait.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2017, 09:45 AM)MikeBear Wrote: I DID find a ResMed Airsense 10 Autostart for sale at a price I could afford, and tracking says it's making it's way towards me now.

Hopefully I'll have it soon and there's nothing wrong with it, or shipping doesn't ruin it. Then the old GoodKnight and the S8 can go in the closet for emergencies and I'll just start over with the S10. If it lasts me another 20 years, I shouldn't need it after that...

I worried about mine too as it was winging its way all the way across the pond. But it came in one piece. It helps that sits snugly in the carrying bag which is pretty smart as it allows us to travel with all the accoutrements in one place.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,242 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 1,039 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 152 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
  How many years does a mask last? nnddcc 6 321 04-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Picked up ResMed 10 today, concerned about ability to reset flow rates NewlyDiagnosed 10 262 04-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 250 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
  Incorrectly on ASV for several years rickresmed 2 138 04-04-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.