Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Excited! Getting new (to me) cpap machine today after 20 years!
RE: Excited! Getting new (to me) cpap machine today after 20 years!
Ok, I've got some initial data from the Resmed A10 Autosense, but first I'll have to give some more background to go with this. I have COPD (bronchitis) and it's causing a little extra chest/lung pain right now due to the extreme cold this week (-6F this morning, 8F right now!), so I'm fighting that a bit. However, I have an oximeter, and my normal is checking at an average of 95%.

At present, I have 3 masks:

1: Mirage Swift II nasal pillow mask I've used for years, and it's worked well for me. That's subjective, as my OLD cpap machine is a brick. But it feels good.

2: Phillips/Respironics Dreamwear 'under the nose' nasal "pillow" mask original version I bought last year, BUT, I've NEVER been able to eliminate leaks even with the different size "pillows) (not really pillows, more like open holes!), so I don't use this one. It might have as much as about 1 weeks worth of use in all that time. Maybe I can eventually find the secret to no/low leaks, as it was expensive and I'd like to use it till it wears out anyway.

3: Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask. Brand new, just arrived Sunday, I haven't even opened the sealed package as of yet.

When I tried to use my normal every-night Mirage Swift II mask, I sound like Darth Vader as for some reason my breathing seems to do an ECHO CHAMBER effect very loudly with this mask, and I ended up panicking and feeling like I wasn't getting any air. So I yanked it off within minutes. That was initially with EPR=ON, and set to 1. With my old  cpap machine, I don't get this effect, BUT, the old machine has a very loud white noise sound from the blower that masks everything through the sound conducting through my skull, and I LIKE that sound! I don't know what to do to overcome the loud echo-breathing. Maybe it's just a matter of fighting the panic long enough to calm down my breathing as with the COPD, laying down all by itself affects air intake, until you get your body into an initial calm or sleep rhythm. 

I then changed to the Respironics Dreamwear mask. This does NOT have the "Echo Chamber" effect like the Swift II does, and is tolerable, BUT, impossible to keep a good seal. It still felt VERY 'weird' breathing, so I changed EPR=OFF. Ok, now it doesn't feel "weird" anymore, and no more panicking. I was able to go with this mask for the night. I made it from around 11:30pm~ to around 3:30am, where I gave up because the leaks became impossible and I got sick of arousing to fix them.

So, here are the charts, though I know I have a long way to go to tweak this, and I am DETERMINED to do so! Ok, it doesn't seem like this will post as images, only as a link. Why is that?

https://imgur.com/a/ye7cf
[/url]

[url=https://imgur.com/a/ye7cf]
Post Reply Post Reply
First, I'd like to suggest you crack open that P10 mask. It is the quietest mask on the market and diffuses air in a way you won't sense the exhaust. Use the Swift II years ago, and will never look back.

You tried two settings on your machine. It appears you had pressure set to 7-12 in both sessions, but EPR was set at 1 during the afternoon nap. That setting seems to be better for you. Turn on EPR Full Time at 2, and increase minimum pressure to 8.0. More of your events are hypopnea, and the increase in pressure and EPR will help with that and should feel comfortable. This is a very good start on the new machine.

[Image: wcayG1o.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kudos MikeBear,

You're on the right track. I'll ditto Sleeprider, try the P10. I cannot mislead you into saying I've tried it, but I've heard great comments on them. I have yet to venture away from the FFM's.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2017, 11:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: First, I'd like to suggest you crack open that P10 mask.  It is the quietest mask on the market and diffuses air in a way you won't sense the exhaust.  Use the Swift II years ago, and will never look back.

Turn on EPR Full Time at 2, and increase minimum pressure to 8.0.

Ok, I opened the P10 mask package, and switched to the LARGE pillow after trying it with the medium that was installed. I then made the above changes to the machine, and tried a 1 hour "nap" even though I wasn't tired, and didn't think I'd sleep.

First of all, WOW! That mask is AWESOME! It fits really well, seals well, and doesn't seem like it's easy to dislodge. I think I can get used to this one, and boy IF I had one of these 20 years ago I might be in a lot better shape now.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I didn't completely get to sleep on this nap, and I'm not going to bother reading the card right now. This was mostly a test-run to see how things might work tonight when I actually go to bed. I wanted everything to be ready to go, so I don't possibly get re-primed back up having to panic again, or things that could get my heartrate going higher just before I should be winding down for sleep.

So, we will see what happens tonight. I'm still sure I'm going to need a white noise machine, but this is a real good (re)start/relearn on my 20 year old use of a brick cpap machine. Almost like I'm starting over from scratch, since I never paid much attention to just how far these machines and therapies have evolved over all these years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well-done

You're on your way to success it sounds.

Sleep-well

Dave
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, last night I went to bed at my normal time using the P10 mask and the changes of EPR Full Time at 2, and increased minimum pressure to 8.0. I didn't get all that good of sleep (I felt as if I was awake the entire night) due to my wife keeping me awake all night with snoring, and making horrible noises from her Mirage Quattro cpap mask. I no longer have white noise from my new machine to help mask that. So, I'm going to work on checking her also eventually, after I'm sorted out. She has an ResMed S9 Elite, so data accessible once I put in a card. Hopefully once I start sleeping a little more solid, things will get even better.

Anyway, here's my new charts from last night:

https://imgur.com/a/I6NiF

Ok, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but this forum won't post images for me directly from imgur. I'm not a newbie, but it doesn't work here for some reason. I just get a tiny little square box with nothing in it? Maybe I need to actually create an imgur personal account first. For now I'll try downloading to my pc, then upload here:

Post Reply Post Reply
Your Imgur link worked fine. Just put img tags around the URL or copy the tags directly from imgur. [ img]https://i.imgur.com/hdeOaSf.png[ /img] without the spaces and you get this.

[Image: hdeOaSf.png]

Your events are well controlled, and you have to consider your overall comfort level. I don't think it was the settings that caused you to wake up or be disturbed. Just give it some time. I knew you'd like the mask. We like to say "resistance is futile".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still working on getting used to the Airsense 10, and have some way to go, but I'm making some headway.

As an aside, we finally gave up on getting my wife's Quattro FFM to seal properly, and I bought her an Airfit P10 mask of her own. With the Airfit P10, her AHI's have been BELOW 1.0 starting the very first night (never been below a 3 before that), and her snoring went from a volume level of 100, down to about a 10 or less! That alone makes a big difference in ME being able to sleep, lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like it
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2018, 11:02 PM)MikeBear Wrote: I'm still working on getting used to the Airsense 10, and have some way to go, but I'm making some headway.

As an aside, we finally gave up on getting my wife's Quattro FFM to seal properly, and I bought her an Airfit P10 mask of her own. With the Airfit P10, her AHI's have been BELOW 1.0 starting the very first night (never been below a 3 before that), and her snoring went from a volume level of 100, down to about a 10 or less! That alone makes a big difference in ME being able to sleep, lol.

With regard to the Airfit P10, I recall someone once told you, "Resistance is futile".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 200 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,745 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 181 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.