Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] F&P SleepStyle SPSAAN vs Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet
F&P SleepStyle SPSAAN vs Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet
New CPAP user, and have somewhat successfully completed the first night. The demo machine I was given to try is a F&P SleepStyle SPSAAN (nasal pillow mask), which I gather is a fairly new model. If I stick with it, the price for the package is $2400 CDN -- very high, and I have no insurance! My wife uses a CPAP (Resmed S9 auto) which we bought from a Canadian on line store. Their current model is the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet for $1000. Much better price (for Canada).

Last night I had a hard time going to sleep, which I guess is probably not that unusual for a first try. The only real issue that I had besides the discomfort of wearing something on my face was that when I exhale, just before I finish exhaling, or when I don't immediately follow an exhale with an inhale, I occasionally feel the pressure build up, and air flow leaking out around the nose piece. It sometimes gives a feeling of a choking - blocked airway -- not being able to freely exhale. I understand that this new F&P model is supposedly improved and has an expiratory relief feature which I think is supposed to reduce this issue. In the office setup I complained about the sensation and the technician made some adjustments which did help, but has not eliminated the feeling all the time.

So my questions. Is the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet going to be any different? Better or worse? Would I be taking a big risk by buying the Resmed without an actual trial of that model? My wife likes her S9. 

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. For what it is worth I was diagnosed with an AHI of 37.3/hr. My provider has restricted my access to data, but I think I saw an AHI of 6 flash on briefly when I shut it down this AM

Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P SleepStyle SPSAAN vs Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Just thinking that the AHI may have been 0.6 not 6. It was on briefly and I am not sure now, and can't seem to recall it. Not impressed that this thing is so locked up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would give the ResMed Airsense10Autoset a go, it is the best machine and even better than the s9, a lot more compact and slightly quieter, though the one I tried might not have been new.  The Airsense10 was and it is by far the best one I tried.
I have used F&P in the past, but not any of the new machines.
Try the Airsense10, I think you will like it, turn on the EPR if you find it hard to breath out.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comment,

It appears the Respiratory Relief setting is at 2 out of 3 on this F&P. I will try it at 3 tonight.

Also it appears that the pressure ramp function on this CPAP is somewhat manual. If you just turn it on, as I did last night, it does not appear to ramp at all. It says to activate the Ramp function you need to hold the On button for 3 seconds. I will try that tonight too.

Does this make sense?
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #32 seems to provide Canadians with much lower prices on machines and masks. I have no direct experience with the F&P Sleepstyle, but like the Airsense 10 Autoset, the humidifier is integrated, and the exhale pressure relief offers up to 3 cm of exhale relief. The machine provides basic efficacy data, but the Resmed offers very comprehensive data and works with Sleepyhead. I think you would be very happy with the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, and would find it easier to understand what is going on with your therapy.

All auto CPAP machines use proprietary algorithms to respond to patient's pressure needs, so they are subtly different. At the same time, all use pressure to maintain the airway, and once you know what your needs are, it's a pretty simple matter to setup the machine within that range. If you are using Ramp, the Autoset can provide timed or auto ramp from any minimum pressure you set. The auto-start feature is very good on the Resmed. I highly recommend it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2018, 01:21 PM)Ron AKA Wrote: Thanks for the comment,

It appears the Respiratory Relief setting is at 2 out of 3 on this F&P. I will try it at 3 tonight.

Also it appears that the pressure ramp function on this CPAP is somewhat manual. If you just turn it on, as I did last night, it does not appear to ramp at all. It says to activate the Ramp function you need to hold the On button for 3 seconds. I will try that tonight too.

Does this make sense?

I don't know to be honest, if that is what it say it will be right.
They have changed the machines a bit, so go with what it says.

Unless someone tells you otherwise.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip. That Supplier #32 does seem to have lower prices than the supplier my wife got her CPAP from. I will contact them and see what setup and follow up service they provide. Is there a place on here where one can get feedback on user experience with these suppliers?

That said I think I am probably capable of setting up and adjusting the AirSense 10. If found a pdf of the Clinical Guide for it, and it seems straightforward. I made some adjustments to my wife's S9 setup a couple of years ago, and it seems to work good.

I made a couple of changes to the F&P machine for last night. I set the Respiratory Relief up to maximum, and used the Ramp start. It seems to work better. I got an AHI of 3.4 which seems high though?
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #32 has been used by many of the Canadian forum members, and so far, all have said they are responsive, fast and friendly. Setups are easy, and the manuals are available from the CPAP Setup Manuals right here on the forum. We even have quick visual guides like this:

https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RonAKA

Have read your other interesting posts and links to studies on EPR and CSA, thanks.

Just wanted to say I recommend the Resmed machines highly. Have a dispensed Resmed Airsense 10 Elite (fixed CPAP) and have bought a Resmed Autoset For Her and love both of them. Also use the Resmed P10 nasal pillows which has improved therapy for me greatly.

Hope your investigations into machine types and suppliers will be fruitful.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2018, 04:07 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote: RonAKA

Have read your other interesting posts and links to studies on EPR and CSA, thanks.

Just wanted to say I recommend the Resmed machines highly. Have a dispensed Resmed Airsense 10 Elite (fixed CPAP) and have bought a Resmed Autoset For Her and love both of them. Also use the Resmed P10 nasal pillows which has improved therapy for me greatly.

Hope your investigations into machine types and suppliers will be fruitful.

I have ordered a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet from Supplier #32. It was originally supposed to arrive today, but now it looks like it will be delayed until after the long weekend on Tuesday. Fortunately I have the trial F&P SleepStyle to use until Tuesday, so I may be able to go from one to the other without an interruption. It will be a big relief as I can't do much with the SleepStyle as SleepyHead does not support it. There is only so much you can do when you can't look at the detailed data. I did borrow my wife's ResMed S9 Autoset for one night, so I am pretty sure that the AirSense 10 will work for me. The CSA will be a challenge, but it is what it is. It is not serious enough to justify anything other than a standard Auto CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 468 3 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 24,923 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 408 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 67 25,321 03-10-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: mikekowalski
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 180 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 0 92 03-08-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: jed3
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,011 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.