Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE
RE: CPAP FILTER, CHANGE OR NOT TO CHANGE
I change my filter every 6 months or so, I don’t have a super dusty environment.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
pavelow360, it totally depends on the conditions where you run your machine and that can even change by time of year. If your filter is turning slightly grey, then it is time to change it. Don't wait until it is really dark.

In the winter, since I don't open the windows, I can go almost 2 months without changing my filters. I have cats, so I get cat fur and other buildup on the one side of the filter. In the summer, I go 2-3 weeks before changing the filter because of the dust brought up by road construction and pollen from open windows.

Filters are cheap; your machine is not. Medicare allows 2 a month because some people live in dusty areas that require two a month. You are not obligated to that schedule (many insurance companies follow the Medicare schedule). To give a good example, my sister lived in Santa Monica for a couple of years during graduate school. Within a couple of weeks without careful cleaning, EVERYTHING was grimy. Yet, only a few miles away in Culver City, you could go months without dusting.

Just because a 'colleague' chooses to do something doesn't make you a lemming that you must also do the same thing. Think about why the manufacturer has such a recommendation. A lot of people do stupid things but because something bad hasn't happened to them, they think it's ok. Ask the ER docs and they will tell you an entirely different story.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see no need to change the filter on my ResMed before it starts to look gray. Filters actually become more efficient at removing particulates as they get loaded. The main concern is compromising air flow which may damage the machine.

I washed the foam filter on my old respironics machine every few weeks and seldom changed the white filter.

For those with good insurance, it's probably not an issue. I think my copay is $0.45 per filter. So I sometimes change it more frequently since it requires no more effort than checking it. It depends on whether I have spares on hand.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Every month seems excessive. Every 3 months I get a new mask, hose and filter from my sleep clinic.  They should give you one whenever you replace the mask.  You probably won't notice much of a difference cleaning it monthly unless you have allergies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, so maybe it's the humidifier. It has had some white coarse stuff in it, ever since I ran it dry. I've tried to wash it out, but it's going to need some major elbow grease. Maybe that's contributing to a smell.

I didn't smell anything last night. So... who knows? I'll try to pay attention to factors.

No flatulent pets - I kick them to the kids' rooms when they get that way!
Post Reply Post Reply
White crusty stuff in the humidifier is probably calcium from the evaporated water. It will usually dissolve in vinegar. Let it soak, scrub, then rinse well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea, do you use distilled water in your tank?
Distilled water will keep it maintennce free, once you get it cleaned.

Washing and rinsing with vinegar is a good choice, but if you can't get it clean, consider a replacement chamber.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2017, 03:57 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hydrangea, do you use distilled water in your tank?  
Distilled water will keep it maintennce free, once you get it cleaned.

Washing and rinsing with vinegar is a good choice, but if you can't get it clean, consider a replacement chamber.

I use very well-purified water, but no not distilled. 

I had zero build-up until it ran out of water one night. :-/

Okay... I'll buy some vinegar.  

I'd love a replacement chamber!  Do I just ask my DME for one?  Must I wait a certain amount of months?  Is it all dependent on insurance?  (Thus, I need to call my insurance to ask what they will approve.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidifier chamber replacement interval is usually 6 months. They are not a very expensive item to buy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I pay $0.87/gal for distilled water at the grocery store. It leaves no sediment. I'm not sure what you mean by well-purified water but deionized, Reverse osmosis filtered water, or distilled water should not leave a sediment.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 835 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 116 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 316 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.