Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Nuance & Nuance Pro Gel Nasal Pillow CPAP mas with head
Humidifier: H5i Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 5-20
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Feel horrible with CPAP therapy
Can anyone advise? I have been doing CPAP therapy for 4 months now, every night 7 plus hours on machine. My latest download shows my AHI 3.1, AI 2.8, HI 0.3, which is an improvement from my original study (AHI 113.9/hr, RDI 117.2/hr). The problem I have is the better the numbers show the worse I feel. I never knew I had a problem before, my problem was found when my H&H came back on yearly lab as elevated, prompting an oximetry to be done. Now I can't stay awake during the daytime, my concentration is at 0, irritation level is at 100 % all the time. I am exhausted from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. Can’t remember what I am supposed to be doing, feel like I am in no man’s land all the time. I sleep throughout the night without waking up for the most part. Some nights I wake up a few times, but go right back to sleep. I was told that CPAP therapy would make the world of difference in my life, and that I would feel great, have more energy and I didn’t know how well I could feel, this is not the case, I feel horrible. No other health problems have been found.
08-24-2015 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sex: Male

RE: Feel horrible with CPAP therapy
Welcome

A minimum pressure of 5 is found to be to low for most people. Have you tried using the Sleepyhead software? It could provide more insight as to what may be going on.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
08-24-2015 11:40 AM
helenkay Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Auto S9

Other Comments:

I take my card to the sleep center at the hopsital to do download I don't know what program they use. At the bottom of the report it says ResMed AirView. I will ask my provider about the Sleepyhead program. Thanks
08-24-2015 12:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PoolQ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 6.2, 15, PS4.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(08-24-2015 12:02 PM)helenkay Wrote:  I take my card to the sleep center at the hopsital to do download I don't know what program they use. At the bottom of the report it says ResMed AirView. I will ask my provider about the Sleepyhead program. Thanks

sleepyhead is free (there is a sticky for it at the top of the main forum page) and you can use it at home to see what is happening while you sleep, you only need an SD card reader, $8 all over the web if you don't already have one.

I think you will find that there are two sides to CPAP: the actual therapy side which you look like you have under control and then there is what is commonly referred to as the comfort side which helps you "want" to use CPAP.

If the comfort side is not set to your liking it's like trying to sleep with sand in the bed, you can do it, but you wont enjoy it.

If you have not already try adjusting the humidity, temperature and other features on the USER menu and see if they make a difference in the positive direction. CPAP is a personal environmental system and it can make your nights terrible, a little off, or perfect.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 12:19 PM by PoolQ.)
08-24-2015 12:17 PM
richb Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirCurve 10 ASV
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built in
CPAP Pressure: Epap 6 Ipap 8 Auto ASV
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Idiopathic Central Apnea

I'll second what poolQ just posted. Start looking at your data. The various graphs will give you an idea of how you are really doing. You can then post some of your findings and get feedback from people who have similar problems.
08-24-2015 02:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

H&H = Hemoglobin and hematocrit. Rather rare to show up as elevated with OSA.
Although it makes sense that an oxygen starved body would create more RBCs.

How is your thyroid?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-24-2015 02:52 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi helenkay,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time of things right now.
You can get either SleepyHead or ResScan data-management software,so you can see what's going on with your sleep, right here on the board.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it.

trish6hundred
08-24-2015 03:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
C-PAP Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics System One
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: Phillips system one
CPAP Pressure: 9.0 - 15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(08-24-2015 11:30 AM)helenkay Wrote:  Can anyone advise? I have been doing CPAP therapy for 4 months now, every night 7 plus hours on machine. My latest download shows my AHI 3.1, AI 2.8, HI 0.3, which is an improvement from my original study (AHI 113.9/hr, RDI 117.2/hr). The problem I have is the better the numbers show the worse I feel. I never knew I had a problem before, my problem was found when my H&H came back on yearly lab as elevated, prompting an oximetry to be done. Now I can't stay awake during the daytime, my concentration is at 0, irritation level is at 100 % all the time. I am exhausted from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. Can’t remember what I am supposed to be doing, feel like I am in no man’s land all the time. I sleep throughout the night without waking up for the most part. Some nights I wake up a few times, but go right back to sleep. I was told that CPAP therapy would make the world of difference in my life, and that I would feel great, have more energy and I didn’t know how well I could feel, this is not the case, I feel horrible. No other health problems have been found.

I was in a similar situation. I recently took my machine to a sleep clinic, actually took my laptop with sleepyhead in as well, and the respiratory therapist looked at the flow rate chart and she said a number of things. I was having constant arousals that I wasn’t aware of. She thought some of this might be due to the auto setting with the pressure changes, but she was more concerned that I had C-flex (Phillips EPR system) on and recognised a pattern of what she said was “me fighting with the machine and the machine fighting with me”. She suggested a fixed CPAP at a pressure of 8 (which was my 90%) and turn off the EPR. I think I feel better after a few days of doing that. I’m still booked for an overnight in the sleep lab to look more at these arousals and see what might be causing that. Such arousals don’t show up in the AHI figures.
08-24-2015 05:07 PM
stanleydean Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmart CPAP
Mask Make & Model: Drive Medical Comfort Fit Deluxe
Humidifier: Resmart
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: No downloadable software available for Resmart. Partial data available via icodeconnect.com

The reply from PoolQ makes good solid sense and is the kind of input we seldom receive from the "professionals". You are in the right place.
08-24-2015 05:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
helenkay Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Auto S9

Other Comments:

(08-24-2015 02:52 PM)justMongo Wrote:  H&H = Hemoglobin and hematocrit. Rather rare to show up as elevated with OSA.
Although it makes sense that an oxygen starved body would create more RBCs.

How is your thyroid?

Thyroid (TSH)1.53
HGB 17.4
HCT 51.8
08-24-2015 06:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  1 night off of cpap.....feel great! duece12345 6 539 10-31-2016 08:55 AM
Last Post: robysue
  Is there an end to CPAP therapy? SamStamport 10 534 10-29-2016 08:46 AM
Last Post: robysue
  I Feel So Dumb - Climateline Hose Violetskyye 14 880 10-08-2016 11:15 PM
Last Post: Violetskyye
  Insomnia getting worse 3 months into therapy baconjurer 3 522 10-05-2016 11:50 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Auto-Trial –delivers CPAP therapy adjusting pressure 30days ICEMAN 8 1,245 09-24-2016 12:34 PM
Last Post: green wings
  cpap therapy still tired wyu177 12 852 09-21-2016 09:32 AM
Last Post: wyu177
  Stop Therapy Question macheta 17 719 09-15-2016 10:32 PM
Last Post: Jim Bronson