Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ramp Time
Ramp Time
Hello,

Somehow I got the notion early on that a lower start pressure and a longer ramp time was what I needed to do for a happy relationship with my CPAP. Also, during the night, when I would wake up because of leakage I would hit the ramp button. This "only" went on for 13 years.

Since joining the board I started seeing comments in various postings that raised questions about ramp time and start pressure and I thought "hmmmmm". I started lowering the ramp time from 20 minutes and am now set on zero ramp time and have been there for four nights. I am actually sleeping better, have less leakage and feel more rested when I wake up. I have used the CPAP all night every night from day one (except for about 4 or 5 nights for medical reasons) and felt pretty smug about it but now I think what I was doing was probably reducing the effectiveness of my treatment significantly. I am seeing many benefits from this group but, so far, changing my approach to ramp time has been the biggie.

Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ramp Time
Learned a lot of good information here after diagnosis and before I received my machine. Saturated myself with information for about 2 weeks before titration. I knew enough and was vocal about what machine I wanted due to what I learned here. I struggled with that smothering feeling at the low pressure they started me out at during titration. Having already heard about the ability of turning off ramp here, it was the first thing I did when I got the machine home. The DME had it preset to the pressure I couldn't handle at titration. Very thankful to have found this site from the beginning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out with a 5 minute ramp. After reading here, I went from a Wisp nasal mask to P10 pillows and ditched the ramp. None of the advice dispensed here is universally applicable to everybody. It certainly worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I turned off the ramp about a week ago, and I'm definitely sleeping better, and I don't have as many events.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I'm not the only one that learned from the forum that with ramp time more is very likely not better. But maybe taking 13 years to get there is some kind of record. Sure glad to have stumbled onto the forum.

The doctors and suppliers along the way were not much help. Thank you all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp time seems to be one of the personal preference settings. Personally I like and use it as I find it helpful to go to sleep with it. There are of course others, as in this thread, that don't find it helpful at all and should of course turn it off.

Ramp time is not "bad", but it is either helpful or not
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried turning off the ramp - once. But after having slept with it for such a looong period of time with the ramp, I started to panic with the machine blowing at such a 'high' pressure. At this juncture in time, it's hard for an old-guy to learn new tricks. oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 212 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,444 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 808 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,222 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.