Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Back on the CPAP horse
Back on the CPAP horse
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I posted last so I thought I'd give a quick update on some things that have occurred.

To start with I am basically stuck with my limited data capable Airsense 10 CPAP. My doctor will not change the prescription, and the DME wants an additional $500.00 to cover the difference to upgrade. I hope that this machine will work for me, and treat my sleep apnea. I know I won't have access to the additional data leak and AHI breakdown, but it should still work right?

Second, I still am not sleeping well. I am getting less sleep now than I was a few weeks ago. I just was up for almost a day and a half with no sleep. This whole insomnia thing has really prevented me from getting any real benefit from the CPAP therapy. This has really impacted my already declining cognitive abilities. My doctor doesn't think I'm as impaired cognitively as I think I am because I keep passing all of his little mini mental exams. He has a right to his opinion..but I know how poorly my brain is functioning and need to stop it now before my brain is completely mush!!

Now for the good news...My doctor prescribed Klonopin .5mg to be taken at night to help with the insomnia, anxiety, and my plmd's he missed on the initial study. Apparently the sleep center did not really disclose in full details on the report that I had over 111 periodic leg movements with multiple awakenings.

I guess it's time to hop back on the CPAP horse and continue my journey to good health and mental well being.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Back on the CPAP horse
(07-29-2015, 02:40 AM)mzdawn74 Wrote: My doctor will not change the prescription, and the DME wants an additional $500.00 to cover the difference to upgrade. I hope that this machine will work for me, and treat my sleep apnea. I know I won't have access to the additional data leak and AHI breakdown, but it should still work right?

Hi Dawn, it's good to hear from you.

Yes your machine will work though it's frustrating that you're encountering such resistance from the doctor -- does he/she have a financial interest in which machine you get?

Also, something to keep in mind if only for the future about that $500 upcharge -- the practice of "balance billing" -- trying to bill the patient for the difference between what insurance will pay them and what they want to charge -- is illegal in California and most other states. It's a violation of the contract that the DME has with your insurance company.

Quote:Now for the good news...My doctor prescribed Klonopin .5mg to be taken at night to help with the insomnia, anxiety, and my plmd's he missed on the initial study. Apparently the sleep center did not really disclose in full details on the report that I had over 111 periodic leg movements with multiple awakenings.

The klonopin should really help you with getting some sleep. And yikes about the PLM issues -- no wonder sleep has eluded you!

Do get back on CPAP now that you've got some medication to help you sleep more peacefully. I'm hoping this really turns things around in a better direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mzdawn74,
Good luck getting back on the CPAP, just keep on tryin'.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm...not good.
Without full data capability you are flying blind. You'll never know if you're getting proper therapy or
what adjustment needs to be made.
An Autoset model isn't that much more expensive ($50?) Certainly not $500 over what you have already paid!
These guys sound like crooks and just want to empty the pockets of the insurance companies.
Angry
You need to find a new doctor that will work with you on this.
Tell him/her you want an ResMed Autoset model (S9 or S10 will work) heated hose and humidifier.
*Dispense As Written.*
If the DME balks then you can pick up an S9 yourself for around $700 with your doc's prescription.

We are striving here to get your apnea taken care of so it can be eliminated from any other issues you currently
have to work with. (dont we all?)

Good luck and keep up the good fight!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,959 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 517 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 398 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 294 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 541 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 234 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.