Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Fighting with CPAP
Fighting with CPAP
I'm fighting with mask, pressure etc every night lately due to sinus congestion and nighttime asthma cough.
Ripping the mask off, putting it back on lately has become a nightly event.
Its driving me crazy. Doing everything I can think of to relieve my issues without success.Do you think I'm better off laying off the CPAP during these times or try to keep using. Sometimes I feel like the CPAP just aggravates my sinus and asthma issues when they
are bad.
Thxs
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fighting with CPAP
It shouldn't become a regular thing, but taking Sudafed and/or Afrin or equivalent a bit before bedtime should get you through it, and if your apnea is bad you'll certainly be better off with a decent night of treated sleep than without. I have to do this on occasion, usually after a long day of mowing the lawn (should wear a dust mask).
Post Reply Post Reply
As WP said you don't want to take Sudafed on a nightly basis...you get a rebound effect and can make things worse....it's easy to do...you take it and get a great nights sleep...then after a week or 2 of doing it....BAMB....you're blocked solid.....sometimes if you have a low starting pressure with the ramp on it's hard to breath...I have found by turing up my starting pressure to 6 from 4 and turning the ramp off it actually helps open my nose when it's stuffy....good luck...could be humidifier needs turned up or down...if it on a low setting I would bump it up by 1 or reverse if it's at a high setting...I hope you find the right settings....cause life is great when you do.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 06:48 AM)Beekay Wrote: Doing everything I can think of to relieve my issues without success.

First of all, going without CPAP therapy will not help physically with your sinus issues. I know it's hard to wear the mask when you feel like you can't breathe, but the little bit of extra pressure provided by the CPAP machine actually helps clear your sinuses.

You say you've tried everything you can think of? Have you reported these problems to your doctor? There are remedies for the sinus problems and remedies for the CPAP problems. I would suggest taking an antihistamine such as generic Claritin every night. A sinus spray recommended by your doctor. A sinus rinse using the NeilMed kit. You can take sudafed in the mornings when needed. Try a full face mask.

All of this stuff is a hassle, especially when you're not getting a good night's sleep. But if you can get any of it to work you'll start feeling better and sleeping better and it will all be worth it.

When you sleep without the mask you are making it harder for yourself to adapt. And even though you may feel like you're sleeping without it, the fact is all you get is light sleep that's continuously interrupted. It just makes you feel worse and compounds your problems. It reduces the quality of your life and shortens your life span.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 08:33 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Try a full face mask.

That would be my solution. Try a hybrid if you really like pillows.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
What are you doing for humidity? If I don't have my water in the humidifier even with the heater off.. I stuff up. I will say that the longer I was on the CPAP the less chronically congested I got. Mouth breathing just lets the crud build in the nasal area. Also when I started as was still prone to stuffiness. I used to have one of this little finger shaped eucalyptus inhaler.. if I had any air flow in the nose at all it would open up enough for me to start the CPAP and that usually helped more.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do sinus meds. I told doctor, all he suggests is more saline spray.
Can't do a full face mask. Too coffin like. I go into panic mode.
I like the nasal mask.
I play with the humidifier.
I'm just frustrated. I thought every night would be great sleep.
One thing I have noticed is when I have nights like this my events go up.
Still very low which my doc is happy about.
Oh well, guess I'll just deal. :-/
Thxs for all advice. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 11:55 AM)Beekay Wrote: Can't do a full face mask. Too coffin like. I go into panic mode.

Check out the Amara View or the Mirage Liberty. Those types of masks don't cover as much face as a typical ffm.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds counter-intuitive but a nasal pillows mask might do the trick. Much as I hated the P10, it certainly did leave my pipes feeling fresh and clean, even if I was clogged up at the start of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always had congestion and sinus/nasal stuffiness, even before CPAP, and thought I could never use a nasal pillow mask, but just the opposite is true. The nasal pillow mask really does open up the nasal passages.

Also use saline rinses and the XLEAR with xylitol nasal spray. If I'm real congested or am having allergy issues, I take a Claritin.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Chaos58503 Therapy Thread Fighting Positional OA chaos58503 17 1,334 01-16-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: chaos58503
  Fighting With My CPAP GotMojo 3 489 12-30-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Fighting the urge to nap PaulaO2 3 573 12-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] 2 years on and still fighting with machine MJE61 2 634 03-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Last Post: MJE61
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 882 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Fighting with Insurance Company theMezz 5 1,555 09-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question First time to forum, but been fighting sleep apnea for 2.5 years 69developer 15 5,473 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.