Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Fighting with CPAP
RE: Fighting with CPAP
(07-26-2015, 06:48 AM)Beekay Wrote: I'm fighting with mask, pressure etc every night lately due to sinus congestion and nighttime asthma cough.
Ripping the mask off, putting it back on lately has become a nightly event.
Its driving me crazy. Doing everything I can think of to relieve my issues without success.Do you think I'm better off laying off the CPAP during these times or try to keep using. Sometimes I feel like the CPAP just aggravates my sinus and asthma issues when they
are bad.
Thxs

Beekey,
I don't recall reading what you AHI is? I ask because your pressure setting of 6 may be too low for you. I would up that to 6.5 or 7, and see if that helps you breath easier. Also if you are using the ramp feature, turn it off.

Laying off CPAP isn't the answer, you will feel worse without it. If I didn't use CPAP when I have sinus issues, that would be 3/4 of the year!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll be the third to say that nasal pillows can clear nasal passages and open sinuses. Since you're on nasal therapy anyway, it should be easy to try it out. The mask is actually smaller and lighter and inflates the nasal cavity from inside, while using a nasal mask imposes pressure from both the outside and inside producing less benefit.

It sounds like you may have the Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP, rather than the Elite or Autoset. Can you clarify which model you have? CPAP does not produce therapy data, otherwise, we might be able to use that to evaluate your pressure needs. 6 may be low. A little experimentation with an alternate mask interface (pillows) and possibly pressure, might find the comfort zone for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just seen my doc and he thinks my pressure is great. My events are now below or near 1
I trid the nasal pillows during sleep study. No go.
Couldn't deal.
Yes I use the ramp and I like it but I will turn it off and see how I do.
Again last night the congestion started. I took off my mask and slept without it most of the night. Woke up with no congestion. No coughing. I've only blown my nose a few times today and haven't felt I needed my inhaler at all so far. Cleaned equipment today. Going back to using tonight and seeing how it goes.
Yes, airsense 10 autoset :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2015, 01:46 PM)Beekay Wrote: I just seen my doc and he thinks my pressure is great. My events are now below or near 1
I trid the nasal pillows during sleep study. No go.
Couldn't deal.
Yes I use the ramp and I like it but I will turn it off and see how I do.
Again last night the congestion started. I took off my mask and slept without it most of the night. Woke up with no congestion. No coughing. I've only blown my nose a few times today and haven't felt I needed my inhaler at all so far. Cleaned equipment today. Going back to using tonight and seeing how it goes.
Yes, airsense 10 autoset :-)

Beekay,
Did you tell your doctor that you are not using the CPAP all night, that you take your mask off and sleep without? Does he know of your congestion issues?

If you are only using it for a couple hours, an AHI of 1 or less probably is not an accurate account of what it would be if you slept all night with CPAP.

What about your humidity levels? Top high could pose problems and too low could leave you feeling dry.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ie been having congestion problems all along but have been sleeping with the cpap up to 8+ hrs a night with very few mask removals.
Its been recently it has gotten worse so I'm down to 4, 5 hrs of sleep a night with the mask.
I was doing so great all this time with slight problems but working through it.
But now its like night and day.
I'm going to see doctor tomorrow, maybe I have a infection or something I dunno.
Hopefully tonight will be different.
I took a clariton today. Maybe that will help.
Thxs again for advice. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone! Newbie here but I've had good luck with Nasacort nasal spray. No rebound effect like antihistamines as this is a steroid. No smell or bad taste. I use it 10 min before I mask up. It's pricey but it works in my experience. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 11:55 AM)Beekay Wrote: I do sinus meds. I told doctor, all he suggests is more saline spray.
Can't do a full face mask. Too coffin like. I go into panic mode.
I like the nasal mask.
I play with the humidifier.
I'm just frustrated. I thought every night would be great sleep.
One thing I have noticed is when I have nights like this my events go up.
Still very low which my doc is happy about.
Oh well, guess I'll just deal. :-/
Thxs for all advice. :-)
Don't give up just yet. I had the exact same issues. This is my take on it. My brain does not understand having an alien sitting on my face blowing air up my nose. So when I feel something my brain try's to make sense out of it based on what I am used to. Quite often with CPAP my brain gets it wrong. For my "congestion" after all my usual things I adjusted humidity down, temperature down, ERP up and turned smart start back on. Bingo no more "congestion" which turned out to be having a problem with exhaling into a pressurized system.

Try changing the "comfort" settings and see if any make things better for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 11:55 AM)Beekay Wrote: Oh well, guess I'll just deal. :-/

It will get better. But only if you use the machine every time you sleep, all the time you are sleeping.

There are things you can do to help you adapt and get over that panic. Try wearing the mask with the machine on when you are watching TV, reading, or doing whatever relaxes you and takes your mind off of it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My 2 cents.
I have chronic rhinitis. I have had my nose cauterised several times due to inhaler induced thickening of the membranes (beconase etc) so I avoid them as much as possible now. I had sinus irrigation done 3 times till I refused to ever consider it again (slow learner) - something I think should be relegated back to the spanish inquisition from whence it came.
My ENT has me on Nasonex,a steroid spray which I use sparingly as I was told the other ones could be used continuously also (yeah, right!). I believed them the first time and paid for it.
I do a saline sinus wash twice a day which helps a lot. I use a home brew of salt and baking soda (20:1 ratio by volume dry)
I use Telfast antihistamine when the pollens get too much.
My sinuses still pack up at times and I must admit defeat and put on the full face mask, and mouth breathe to sleep. - By full face I mean it covers my mouth and nose, not my eyes. A friend has a mask that covers the eyes as well and that freaks me out - he laughs at me and says to try it and I will never go back.
Sometimes my nose is open but too sore for pillows, so I put on the nasal mask.

All that said the nasal pillows do work up to about 80% blocked - they do open me up better than the nasal mask though I do not understand why (the blocked area is well above the nostrils so cannot expand out. The CPAP runs on slightly higher pressure than usual - so an autoset is needed.
But:
I must wash my hose and mask regularly. I must clean the filter. I must have distilled or filtered water (not just tap water) in the humidifier and have it on at least 2 degrees above room temp.

I find that trying to sleep without the CPAP a waste of time. I percieve I sleep but it is just a lack of consciousness - I get no rest from it.

Of course ymmv. This is how it works for me with my nose issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update:
Had a visit with the doctor yesterday.
I have a sinus and ear infection.
Since I just had one a few months ago (before cpap) she's going to send me to an ENT.
The last two nights have been a bit better.
Hopefully I'll be back on the road to sleeping well again. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Chaos58503 Therapy Thread Fighting Positional OA chaos58503 17 1,334 01-16-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: chaos58503
  Fighting With My CPAP GotMojo 3 492 12-30-2022, 09:49 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Fighting the urge to nap PaulaO2 3 574 12-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [CPAP] 2 years on and still fighting with machine MJE61 2 634 03-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Last Post: MJE61
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 884 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Fighting with Insurance Company theMezz 5 1,558 09-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question First time to forum, but been fighting sleep apnea for 2.5 years 69developer 15 5,474 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.