Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Finally got my machine
Finally got my machine
As you all know, this process of getting through the sleep study and trying to find the right machine, humidifier, mask and what not for you is in addition to the exhaustion that brought us begging and pleading to the Dr in the first place for reprieve. My machine arrived yesterday. To say I was excited is an understatement. It has been months since I had a good night's sleep and so I was elated! It seems the light at the end of this tunnel was indeed an oncoming train. Maybe this is just something I have to get used to but I woke up this morning feeling worse than I have in months. I have the nose mask and to some extent, I understand the feeling of water boarding but with air. If you cough with the mask on, the air pressure up my nose caused me to choke. I was excited that my machine had a humidifier as I usually have a dry nose. I have a horrible headache and my nose feels worse than usual. The water doesn't seem to have gone down at all. I am babbling now from exhaustion and frustration. So I turn to you for support and understanding and a true light at the end of this sleepless tunnel.

Jen Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally got my machine
You have this humidifier? It appears to require separate control -- switch on rear and dial on the side.
So, first question, did you turn it on?

And you must put the power cord into the humidifier, then connect the pigtail from the humidifier into the CPAP machine.

[Image: xtseriesheatedhumidifierbyapexmedical.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that is the one I have and I double checked it was plugged in. There is the dial on the side and it was set to 2. Not sure what it should be set at.
Post Reply Post Reply
Set it mid-range and dial up/down from there. Likely you are not getting enough humidity.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
May I ask how this machine was selected? Your choice or a supplier?

The Apex CPAPs are made in Taiwan and are relatively inexpensive. They are not supported by Sleepyhead software and must use the manufacturer's proprietary software. Although these machines meet the requirements of a prescription, the selection is usually based on saving money compared to Philips or Resmed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider: We will see more of these machines unless people educated themselves before accepting a machine.

Skittles3350: People who go in knowing which machine they want and are willing to just say No, usually get the better machine.

I wonder how you put water in that tank -- it looks like you have to pull the hose and fill to the line through the hose port.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The Apex has a reputation for being very slow in the IPAP/EPAP transition, which some people find leaves them gasping for air, or feeling a headache. This is based on reviews on several websites. It is also very slow in adjusting to apnea precursor events, which means when you rely on the auto algorithm instead of a higher set pressure, it does not stop obstructive apnea. A supplier is paid the same amount of money by insurance for whatever CPAP they supply, so they are highly motivated to provide one that retails under $400 than one that retails closer to $1000. Just remember, that if it doesn't match up to your needs and you do not tolerate it well, an exchange may be in order. Also, if you are subject to showing compliance, this machine does not transmit data, and you will have to take the data card to your supplier for reporting.

On the other hand, this is a small light CPAP that is modular, so it travels light if you leave the humidifier behind. If it is comfortable and works for you, it's not my intention to "harsh your mellow".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Skittles3350,
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy and also with your machine situation.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Skittles3350! Glad you found us!! As you can see here you'll get some great info and ideas from experienced users.

I myself suffered (still do but less often and less severe) from the morning headaches associated with sleep apnea. Is this something new for you or have you been experiencing them prior to diagnosis? For me it was due to the apnea events greatly increasing during REM sleep at which time I would awake with a booming headache. Not sure if this might be the case for you?

Hope you can sort out your problems with both your therapy and your new machine!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Grin 
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I slept a total of 6 hours in 3 hours stints, but I slept. And even better, I woke up feeling like I had slept. I love this board!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,025 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,144 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 457 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,371 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 526 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  QAL finally got an AirSense 10, completely new but smells like bubblegum. quiescence at last 0 440 04-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Finally getting used to CPAP but still waking up alot Tcp84 3 667 03-17-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: RainbowFish

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.