Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] First day result
First day result
Hi, I am new to this forum.
I was diagnosed OSA with AHI 69 last year.
I have my first APAP treatment last night, this morning the machine showing my AHI at 10.34 , Average pressure 8.72
I knew that the ideal AHI should below 5
Does that take time to decrease the AHI to that number? Or there is something I can tune the APAP for a better number?
Appreciated for any advice.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First day result
That's why most of us use software. We determine the nature of the events; then fine tune.
Rough guess, you may need a bit higher pressure range -- unless that raises central apnea events.

Edit: And you have attached a graph. You have a lot of clear airway (central) and hypos. Give it some time and see if the CAs resolve. If they do not, you may not have been given the optimum machine for your "mixed" apnea.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks justMongo for your input.
Actually, I still need sometime to get used to the machine and mask, and this kept me between wake and sleep the whole night. The mask is comfort but a bit noisy while breathing. Not sure if this mess up the figures.
Let me see another nights, thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day rajiray, welcome to Apnea Board.

As Mongo said, you may need a higher base pressure and its possible the central apneas will need a different type of machine. However looking at your chart I see you have a very long ramp time of about 45 minutes - events which occur during this time can probably be discounted as the machine hasn't got up to its working therapeutic pressure yet. I'd suggest you reduce the ramp period - make it as short as you are comfortable with. The other issue is that if you were frequently waking and dozing, you might be seeing some "sleep / wake junk" which is what happens when you're not properly asleep and your breathing is irregular. As you get used to the mask this should decrease and you'll get better results.

At this early time I wouldn't make any other changes except shorten the ramp and make sure you're comfortable with the mask. After a week or ten days it might be time to start fine tuning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks DeepBreathing,

Yes you are right, I set long ramp time, since I am not easily fall into asleep with the machine.
There is one thing very interesting when I go into the Events details.

Out of 34 CA events for the whole therapy, 11/34 of them happened before 1:43am
which I am pretty sure I not fall into sleep yet, cause I watched my watch lately at 1:34am
8/34 happened after 8am where I woke up and lay on the bed for a couple of minutesss.

The same on the Hypopnea Events (43) , which 20/43 happened before 1:51am and 6/43 after 8am.

Not sure if this is why the bad figures were taken.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Not sure if this is why the bad figures were taken.

I'm sure that is part of the reason. Good sleep hygiene is important to get the most out of this therapy, so that you fall asleep very quickly after you lie down. Looking at your watch doesn't help! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Stop or don't fret over any numerical values on your CPAP machine for "at least" a week or so. The AHI 10.34 is overwhelmingly better then the 69 of last year. So what if its not down to under 5. You will get it down to under 5 in time, but maybe not tonight or tomorrow night. The secret to CPAP therapy is ""Usage"".
Throughout the years I have read this forum, I see people who are new users of CPAP therapy, wanting to "chase the numbers" by constantly wanting to tweak the machine so as to get this number or that number lower by one point. You've probably had sleep apnea for quite a while so it may take a bit of time for the therapy to work.. BUT it will work, and you WILL start to feel better, and your quality of life WILL be better.
Stay determined to keep that mask on at night and you will be amazed at the results. Keep visiting this forum also for a wealth of information to make life better.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, it's not a light switch, more like a dimmer control. Improvement usually does not happen overnight. Once all the "noise" settles down, if you are still having issues, there seems to be at least a few tweaks that can be tried. Your starting pressure of 5 "might" be a little low. You also have a pre-ramp starting pressure of 4 which again seems on the low side. As treatment goes at this point you are not doing bad.

Focus for now on how are you feeling, both before you fall asleep and after you wake up. This system should feel perfectly normal as far as breathing goes (you will get used to the noises and feel of the mask). Do you feel like you are getting enough air? Are you forcing yourself to relax and breathe slowly just to get enough air? Do you feel like the air is "heavy"?

While you are getting used to the therapy, you can be looking after feeling comfortable with the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rajiray,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you can help it, try not to look at the time. I used to sleep in my watch, but I had to quit that because I would open it up and look at it and that was it, I was awake for sure.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for responding this thread,
I tuned up the min pressure on the second night, tightened the headgear abit so it dont leak at my side sleep. However, I dont feel slept at all in this morning.
As what JudgeMental said, it is time to forget all the numbers, I really need to make myself comfort with this first. I need to check more side sleeper experience from this forum.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,022 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Treatment] Review of OSCAR Result wasvsdal 7 663 10-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Pressure] Many Settings - Same Result - OSCAR Detectives take a look? BionicBreather 16 1,779 10-16-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather
  [Equipment] Will medicare pay for my oxygen condenser based on this result? ThinMountainAir 5 910 08-29-2022, 11:45 AM
Last Post: newb
Question [Diagnosis] Help me read my CPAP Study Result YouTakeMyBreathAway 0 555 06-22-2022, 02:22 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
  [Diagnosis] A bit lost after WatchPat result Hms123 39 4,362 10-07-2021, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Hms123
  My sleep study result, would like to understand it better? sndraco 5 723 07-12-2021, 03:46 PM
Last Post: sndraco

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.