Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] First days of CPAP/APAP, not feeling better.
RE: First days of CPAP/APAP, not feeling better.
Yes, Dr. Krakow said I have UARS, anxiety and emotional issues. He also said that he hasn't used CPAP/APAP for UARS patients since 2005 since it does not work well, and bilevel/ASV would be the next step if I can get access to them. He was hopeful that the MAD device would work.

I think I'd be able to use them if they didn't cause me to choke and/or obstruct. I initially felt OK on CPAP until I started having these experiences.

I am not really being treated for anxiety. The doctor did write me a very low dose prescription for pregbalin (75mg) to help me fall asleep using CPAP, but at that low dose, it doesn't seem to do anything.

I am not insanely anxious. I am still, mostly, functioning. I have a full time job as a software engineer, I take care of myself and exercise rigorously. Dr. Krakow was adamant (as he is in his book) that there is definitely an emotional aspect contributing to my anxiety, but the main culprit is the response to my SBD and the state of my throat.

I'm not interested in taking any kind of SSRI. I keep xanax around for panic attacks, which I had an issue with about a year ago, but has mostly resolved now.

I made an appointment to see the sleep doctor again tomorrow morning. I think he may be as good as it gets unless I'm willing to travel. He is the head of the sleep laboratory at the hospital, an ENT surgeon, and an academic as well. He's aware of UARS and drug-induced sleep endoscopies. So I think my best bet is to just keep working with him, hence I started the 2 x daily 40mg pantoprazole he wants me to do, despite my objections. One thing is, that he doesn't seem interested in my APAP data. I try to show him what I'm seeing, and he seemed to dismiss it completely. Maybe I can get him to look tomorrow.

Aside, there is a dentist with sleep medicine experience that I'm seeing later this week. I thought it may be worth it to have someone knowledgeable look at my jaw and see if there are any obvious anatomical signs that would cause me to obstruct. He also makes custom MADs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 364 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 562 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,411 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.