Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] First night on CPAP
First night on CPAP
Hi All,

Just had my first night on CPAP and here are the results.

I was on it for 7.6 hrs
AHI 9.2 - AHI from my sleep study was 30.2
Leak 9

From my sleep study I had 7.9 central events. Does the AHI reading from the CPAP include both Obstructive and Central apneas or just the obstructive ones?

Does this sound about right for a first night?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night on CPAP
Hi Rich, welcome to Apnea Board!

Certainly an AHI of 9.2 is better than the AHI during your sleep study of 30.2.

Yes, the AHI reported in S9 units includes both obstructive and suspected central events. In order to see how many obstructive vs. central events you have, you can download and install the free ResScan software for your personal computer. You'll also need an SD card reader (if your computer doesn't already have one). Read more about how to obtain the ResScan software HERE. There is also a non-proprietary free software called SleepyHead which will perform many of the same functions as ResScan. Some believe it to be easier to use as well. You can read about how to obtain SleepyHead software HERE.

Normally, the goal of CPAP is to get your overall AHI down below 5.0. Your 9.2 is a bit high... however, don't worry about that just yet. One night does not a trend make. We usually recommend that a patient try out their prescribed pressure for at least a week or two before making any changes. And, as always, if you decide a pressure change might be needed, know what you're doing first and always communicate with your sleep doctor so you can get their input as well. Also, be sure to first read through this page on Changing Pressures (HERE).

You may wish to obtain the Clinician Manual for your machine, which explains how to change pressures and other settings on your specific CPAP. You can ask for that via email by following the directions HERE.

I would also recommend that you read through as many of the longer threads here in the forum as you can. You can use the Search function (link at top of all forum pages) to help look for specific threads that may relate to any issues you have. If you can't find an answer by searching, most of the members of Apnea Board are more than willing to help answer questions or address issues you may have. Just ask.

Welcome

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rich60,
What SuperSleeper said.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rich60, Just wondering how you are going? I am about to start soon and am interested in all the beginners. Hope you are managing with the machine and mask? Are you finding it easy to get used to? I wish you lots of luck.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 02:02 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Hi Rich, welcome to Apnea Board!

Certainly an AHI of 9.2 is better than the AHI during your sleep study of 30.2.

Yes, the AHI reported in S9 units includes both obstructive and suspected central events. In order to see how many obstructive vs. central events you have, you can download and install the free ResScan software for your personal computer. You'll also need an SD card reader (if your computer doesn't already have one). Read more about how to obtain the ResScan software HERE. There is also a non-proprietary free software called SleepyHead which will perform many of the same functions as ResScan. Some believe it to be easier to use as well. You can read about how to obtain SleepyHead software HERE.

Normally, the goal of CPAP is to get your overall AHI down below 5.0. Your 9.2 is a bit high... however, don't worry about that just yet. One night does not a trend make. We usually recommend that a patient try out their prescribed pressure for at least a week or two before making any changes. And, as always, if you decide a pressure change might be needed, know what you're doing first and always communicate with your sleep doctor so you can get their input as well. Also, be sure to first read through this page on Changing Pressures (HERE).

You may wish to obtain the Clinician Manual for your machine, which explains how to change pressures and other settings on your specific CPAP. You can ask for that via email by following the directions HERE.

I would also recommend that you read through as many of the longer threads here in the forum as you can. You can use the Search function (link at top of all forum pages) to help look for specific threads that may relate to any issues you have. If you can't find an answer by searching, most of the members of Apnea Board are more than willing to help answer questions or address issues you may have. Just ask.

Welcome
SuperSleeper, good Info here, I am bookmarking it for my own personal use. I love all your 'HERE's'. Great stuff. So thanks from me.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Rich,

Sounds like you actually had a very good first night! Just the fact that you were able to use the machine for over seven hours on your first night is fantastic!

Yes, many people experience a "wear in" period. Central apnea events in new users are common and will likely taper off, but may not go to zero. Keep in mind your machine "guesses" if an event is obstructive or central, so don't worry too much about these unless they continue at a high rate.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
jdireton has it exactly right. The first thing you have to do when starting CPAP therapy is to get used to wearing the mask. All night. Whenever you sleep. For some, this is easier than for others; only you can tell when you are "comfortable" enough with the mask to try optimizing your treatment.

If you are motivated, you might, as others have suggested, download software and actually look at the details of when these events happened. When doing so, the first thing to realize is to completely discount anything that happened while you were awake. I find that I often hold my breath when I am adjusting my pillow, and that often shows up as obstructive apnea events. They don't count.

What you might discover is that there are specific periods when you have a much higher than normal rate of apnea events. Typically, this would happen, for example, if you rolled onto your back, as that position tends to physically require more treatment pressure to keep your airway clear. When you're ready to deal with it, that can be fixed in one of three possible ways: prevent yourself from rolling onto your back by (eg) sewing a tennis ball into a pocket on the back of your pajama, increase your treatment pressure to also handle being on your back, or buy (and use) an auto-CPAP machine that will automatically adjust the treatment pressure as required. Or you could simply ignore the issue if it happens infrequently and briefly enough not to be a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 5 40 1 hour ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
Question First night with CPAP (Luna G3) Big Ultima Energy 3 128 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 234 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,217 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 977 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 422 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 372 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.