Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] First night on new machine
First night on new machine
I finally received my new machine yesterday - an F&P Icon+ Auto. Can't complain about shipping time - ordered Tuesday, arrived from the US Friday. I also received a CPAP pillow as I've really wanted to find something missing the corners, and a Respironics Comfortgel FFM to keep for those nights when no amount of nasal TLC is going to let me nose breathe.

This morning is the first time I've used SleepyHead - I don't have a card reader for my old ResMed S8, so I've been flying blind since my titration study.

My Sleep Doc is anti-auto machines (waste of money and no evidence that they're of any benefit apparently), so I've been on a prescription of 7.
I set the machine with a min 7, max 10cm to see how I'd go.

Last nights results indicate an AHI of 2.66 - mostly hypopneas, with only one obstructive.
The SenseAwake data is interesting in that it shows me how many times it detected that I woke - around 12 times.

Average pressure was 7.31cms, with the 90% pressure at 8.0. I woke up at one point and checked the pressure (I set that as the display), and found that it was running at 8.0cms. There was a 15 min window where I was at 10cms.

6.24 hours total use. I feel pretty tired this morning (late night didn't help), but I still feel like the sleep quality was good.

Looking forward to getting some more hours into it to see if I can get that AHI down further, and get my sleep hours up.

It's a lot quieter than my old machine, and the pillow was surprisingly easy to get used to.

So a couple of questions:
- based on the average pressure above, does it sound like the range of 7cms to 10cms is reasonable? I was flying a little blind in setting this given my docs lack of acceptance of auto machines. Luckily I'm in a country that doesn't require a prescription.

- Should I extend out the max a little given that I managed to hit it? There were a bunch of hypopneas recorded during that period at 10cms.

- My old ResMed S8 is going to be my "weekender"/"camper" machine. It will get a fair bit of use. It's currently set at 7cms. Is it worth increasing the pressure closer to the average that I'm getting from the Icon+?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night on new machine
Congrats on the new machine! I would maybe bump it up to 11-12 just to give it a little more room if needed. Best of luck on your journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lunaticds,
CONGRATULATIONS! on the new machine.
Hang in there for answers and suggestions. Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day lunaticds

Given that the machine was running at 10 for at least part of the time I'd follow the advice above and set the max to something higher. In reality it doesn't really matter how high you set it as the machine will (should) only go higher if it needs to. In other words, even if you set the max to (say) 20, the machine may not go much above 10 or 11 or whatever it actually needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny I was scribed 11 the set it for 8-11 hit 10.5 sometime but 2 days this week I hit a AHI of 0.0 so I say it works
Post Reply Post Reply
Open the top end up a little bit - maybe 1-2 cm. If it doesn't need it, it won't use it. If the machine is consistently hitting the new max, after a couple weeks, then you can bump it a couple more.

Generally speaking, set your old S-8 at whatever the 90% pressure is, not the average. If that is too strong, then you can back it down.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your feedback everyone.
Last night I recorded an AHI 1.88 - with not a single obstructive.
Senseawake got a good work out though.

I had changed my max to 11, and it looks like I'd exceeded 10 for at least 18 mins, with about 5 of those at 11, so it looks like I need to go a bit further. I'll try 13 tonight and see how that goes.

90% average is looking to be 8cms, which is what I always thought I should have been on with CPAP (titration study was a little botched).
Post Reply Post Reply
Good going Lunaticds. This also demonstrates clearly the value of a data capable auto machine - you get solid evidence and a means of optimising your therapy. Keep up the good work!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 09:51 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Good going Lunaticds. This also demonstrates clearly the value of a data capable auto machine - you get solid evidence and a means of optimising your therapy. Keep up the good work!

Absolutely. The data has been fantastic. I've wound up increasing my max further as I've gone a little over 13 on some nights.
Data was also fantastic for the first night I tried a full face mask, as it indicated quite a few leaks, and also that it needs to run at higher pressure than my usual nasal masks. It also proved that I really need to look into mask liners!

I also recently had dental surgery, and didn't even realise that I had excessive leaks with my Wisp until I checked the data; I couldn't really tell by looking, but there was some swelling in my cheeks. I swapped back to the Small mask (which I don't like but is technically the correct size according to Phillips' sizing guide but i find it a little restrictive), and found that I improved the leaks by one simple change. I woke up after that change feeling that I'd had a lot better quality of sleep too.

Having the data there has also allowed me to see my 90% pressure (ignoring the skew from testing a FFM), has also given me enough data to change my old S8 from 7cms to 8cms, which I now use on weekends. One night on that at increased pressure over my original prescription, and I awoke feeling like it's the best sleep I've ever had on that machine.
Just wish that the S8 could give me useful data too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations! Amazing how having data can actually be helpful!! You sound like you are settling in well. You may have a bad night now and then, but don't worry about it. Your long term therapy will help you, your brain and your organs.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 555 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 447 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,789 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.