Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] First timer, gosh my nose hurts.
Gross 
First timer, gosh my nose hurts.

I'm new to this. Was diagnosed last week after doing my sleep study, preparing for the gastric sleeve surgery. I am at a 10 pressure. I used the nasal pillows and OUCH. All night it felt like my nose was being pushed upwards, like a piggy nose. I woke up this morning to a sore, swollen and red nose. I have a really small nose and tried the XS and S nasal pillows and even switched them out half way through the night... Ya know, because I was half awake all night long. The XS seemed like the holes were too small for me to get enough air, and the small seemed ok, hole wise, but the plugs seemed a little large. I did not get a restful sleep at all, and I'm scared to put it back on tonight. But if I don't... Guess who can't have surgery. Help a sister out? lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First timer, gosh my nose hurts.
First, spread the straps apart for a looser fit, together for tighter.
Second, a larger pillow size than you think is usually the right solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What sleep rider said, most people wear the pillows to tight and choose a size too small. The pillows should sit on the outside of your nose (normally) and should barely press at all. They are designed to "inflate" to seal them to your nostril, not to have to press them against it.

If you are one of the unlucky ones where your nostrils become irritated at being touched by the pillow, you can get some Lansinoh, a lanolin cream, that is available in most pharmacies and very inexpensive. A small dab will do ya, and will release the discomfort within a day or two.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Which mask do you use? You need to loosen the straps to make it not so tight. Unless you have the P10 which has no straps to loosen. In that case, you either need a different mask or you need a different head or you need to stretch the beejeebers out of the headgear to get the thing to fit your head right. I suggest a different mask. It is extremely rare that the first mask we try is the one that works.

If you like the nasal pillows style, there are a lot of others to dry. The Nuance, the Dreamwear, the Swift. The P10 is a good mask for its quiet-ness but it's headgear is beyond stupid, IMO.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2016, 10:50 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Unless you have the P10 which has no straps to loosen.

Actually the P10 can be adjusted over a fairly large range by spreading or not spreading the split strap. I have read complaints that it can not be loosened enough for some people, but it can be adjusted for most.

Frank
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, it isn't so much of a chafing or rawness, but more like I was punched in the face. I will definitely try the things suggested to me though! Thank you both!
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be the way you sleep, too. The mask might fit, the pillows might be the right size, and the straps might be tensioned just right. Then, while asleep, you turn your head in such a way there is added pressure somewhere, or the hose gets caught in something, tugs in one direction or another, and mashes the mask into your nose. It happens. Give yourself some time to adjust to the mask itself, and also to finding a sleeping position that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2016, 10:06 AM)daniemmdee Wrote:
All night it felt like my nose was being pushed upwards, like a piggy nose. I woke up this morning to a sore, swollen and red nose.

hi daniemmdee,

I had a similar experience on my first night. Found out I had put the mask on upside down. If this is the case with you, you will know it immediately once you turn the mask over and put it on again.

The pillows are angled, and when you wear the mask properly, the holes should be angled upward. If you put the mask on upside down, there will be a bar pressing against your septum.

hope it's that easy of a fix for you.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi daniemmdee,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy, so don't be shy about asking to try different ones.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the group Dani.

I found the nasal pillows irritate my nasal passages badly with the air blowing directly in to them, I find the Fisher & Paykel Eson nose mask works best for me.

I know my issue is different to yours, but there are a vast range of mask styles/sizes/brands out there to choose from.. finding the right one can be a bit of a chore when you first start on the CPAP journey.

If you have equipment from a sleep clinic or supplier on trial or loan at the moment, ask them if they have different styles of masks you can test to see which one works best for you.

We are all different, what we need for ultimate success is different to others.

Hang in there... for now at least give it a go with some of the suggestions of the others above, adjustments to straps and pillow position or size may be all it takes.

I put up with discomfort and red marks for a few weeks before I got pointed in the right direction of how to adjust and seat my Eson mask by members in this group.
Turned out I needed to have it looser, and positioned a little differently.
Then I found that what was right sitting up actually changed when I laid down to sleep, so a little more fine tuning was needed, and now it is all good. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 200 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 649 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 464 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.