Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Fixed Pressure vs. Auto Pros and Cons
Question 
Fixed Pressure vs. Auto Pros and Cons
I have been debating about getting a new machine that adjusts the air flow automatically. I have had decent luck with a fixed pressure machine for the last 7 years. It seems like it hasn't been working as well lately. Sorry no data yet I will compile some and add to this thread soon. I have read where some do not like the auto adjust machines as well. What are some of the pros and cons to each?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fixed Pressure vs. Auto Pros and Cons
As far as I can tell, there are no cons to the Auto machines. (Apap)

If you purchase a Cpap, then you can only use one straight pressure.

If you purchase an Apap, you can set a pressure range to adjust to your needs, and if you want to go back to using a Cpap, you can do that on same machine. (So two machines in one.)

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to what Opal said that an APAP can do CPAP, the price isn't much different. If single pressure is what works for you, I wouldn't change, but when the day comes your results start to degrade, the APAP will help you get back on track to identify your ideal pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the comments about not like them as well refer to the automatic changes in pressure, not the machines themselves. Some people find that the pressure changes disrupt their sleep resulting in an overall worse result. As others have pointed out, if that happens to be you then you can just switch into CPAP mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always used let the algorithms of the Autos to have their way with me. Many factors have an impact on your therapy demands, with sleeping position, weight change, and alcohol usage coming to mind as being front and center. CPAPs dont have any flexability to tweak your therapy. One thing to consider with Autos is you have to keep your ranges in check. Letting an auto run amok with a wide open range is not going to end well. Pressures outside of your sweet spot (pressures too high or too low) will cause degradation in therapy.

And as mention earlier, an auto can be configured to run as a straight PAP device if need be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gmapes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would get the AutoPAP for the reasons mentioned in the other posts.
If you decide that you don't do well with a range of pressures, (for example, 7-20 CmH2O,) you can set it up to do fixed-pressure, (for example, 14 Cm H2O,) like what you are doing now.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also on your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone. I had read where a few people had sleep disruptions with the auto. I was unaware that an auto machine could be set as a fixed but it makes sense. My next machine will be auto and if need be i can set it fixed. I think as of now my therapy is starting to degrade with the fixed machine. I had just read some horror stories about the pressure changes with the auto machine and wasn't sure what I should do. Thank you to everyone that commented you have been a big help
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2016, 01:06 PM)gmapes Wrote: Thanks everyone. I had read where a few people had sleep disruptions with the auto. I was unaware that an auto machine could be set as a fixed but it makes sense. My next machine will be auto and if need be i can set it fixed. I think as of now my therapy is starting to degrade with the fixed machine. I had just read some horror stories about the pressure changes with the auto machine and wasn't sure what I should do. Thank you to everyone that commented you have been a big help

Just don't let them set your machine wide open at the start.
You already know your effective therapy level and don't want the machine to waste time getting to it. I'd set it at maybe 1cm below your current pressure and let it go two or three cm. above that.
if it flat tops at the high end you can increase it.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed that my therapy needs do change, as MaskUpSleepWell mentioned. So, I love the autoset machine that adjusts to meet those changing needs. When first selling the idea to my sleep doc of switching me to an auto machine, he didn't say anything negative about them, only mentioning that there were no clinical studies showing APAP is "better" than CPAP. I don't know if that is still true, since that conversation happened before home studies with an APAP machine became numerous.
David
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP is the way to go. It can be used as a CPAP, if desired or a tight range can be set around a pressure and then monitor what the APAP algorithm does within that range based on breathing patterns. Pressure needs definitely change quickly. Even things as simple as head position on a pillow or levels of sleep change my pressure needs.

(Not medical advice, just my experiences).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 204 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.