Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Funny Story
Wink 
Funny Story
Okay to think this is funny you really have to understand that I have a very odd sense of humor (or humour if you are a Brit!). So even though my machine keeps my OSA in check pretty much (as far as I know) it does exactly squat for me just plain forgetting to breathe (I assume this is CSA though I am not fully educated on all the formal terms). So I had a pretty severe, prolonged, whatever, event where I forgot to breathe and it woke me most of the way up. Well I guess I was having some sort of weird dream, because I came fully awake holding the nasal pillows section of my Swift LT mask several feet from my body. Air hissing out from everywhere, the headgear still on my head, me still groggy trying to make it be quiet so as not to wake my wife, but you can't get it back together in the dark. Finally I woke completely, turned off the machine, disconnected the pillows from the hose and took everything into the bathroom where I could turn on a light to see, realizing my glasses were on my nightstand so I couldn't see a darned thing...what a fiasco! Needless to say, once I got my glasses I got everything put back together in minutes. In the end I overslept what I normally sleep, and ended up having a great night's sleep. Sure wish I knew what I was dreaming! LOL!
Now, before everyone starts, yes, I know OSA and CSA are serious conditions and I am not making light of them. But let's face it, we are sleeping with the modern day equivalent of an iron lung and there is some weird, dark humor to that. I just prefer to find levity in situations. And if by sharing a ridiculous story it makes someone else feel better, bravo!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Funny Story
(05-28-2012, 05:58 PM)mjbearit Wrote: Okay to think this is funny you really have to understand that I have a very odd sense of humor (or humour if you are a Brit!). So even though my machine keeps my OSA in check pretty much (as far as I know) it does exactly squat for me just plain forgetting to breathe (I assume this is CSA though I am not fully educated on all the formal terms). So I had a pretty severe, prolonged, whatever, event where I forgot to breathe and it woke me most of the way up. Well I guess I was having some sort of weird dream, because I came fully awake holding the nasal pillows section of my Swift LT mask several feet from my body. Air hissing out from everywhere, the headgear still on my head, me still groggy trying to make it be quiet so as not to wake my wife, but you can't get it back together in the dark. Finally I woke completely, turned off the machine, disconnected the pillows from the hose and took everything into the bathroom where I could turn on a light to see, realizing my glasses were on my nightstand so I couldn't see a darned thing...what a fiasco! Needless to say, once I got my glasses I got everything put back together in minutes. In the end I overslept what I normally sleep, and ended up having a great night's sleep. Sure wish I knew what I was dreaming! LOL!
Now, before everyone starts, yes, I know OSA and CSA are serious conditions and I am not making light of them. But let's face it, we are sleeping with the modern day equivalent of an iron lung and there is some weird, dark humor to that. I just prefer to find levity in situations. And if by sharing a ridiculous story it makes someone else feel better, bravo!
Mike

A man after my own heart, you cant beat Humour my friend its what makes things easier. I did a similar thing once but was unaware so I missed it but according to my other half, I once was found sitting up in bed, hose in hand hissing everywhere and me singing into it like a microphone Oh-jeez but Im not going into the time I was found wandering round the bedroom naked with my mask and hose detached thinking I was an elephant Dielaughing The shame Too-funny Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2012, 05:58 PM)mjbearit Wrote: Now, before everyone starts, yes, I know OSA and CSA are serious conditions and I am not making light of them. But let's face it, we are sleeping with the modern day equivalent of an iron lung and there is some weird, dark humor to that. I just prefer to find levity in situations. And if by sharing a ridiculous story it makes someone else feel better, bravo!

Once you hang around here long enough you'll see that we don't take sleep apnea THAT seriously! Heck, there's nothing dangerous about an apnea every once in a while. If you have fewer than 5 per hour the medical community will not even treat you.

BTW, with your machine there's no way to tell for sure if your apneas are obstructive or central. Or even how many of them you are having. What you described sounds like it might be an obstructive apnea.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
mjbearit ~
I'm glad you shared your story. I once knocked my cpap machine off the night stand and that woke me from a deep sleep. I was disoriented and could not figure out why there was air hissing from the hose. Once I finally woke up, I realized that the fall, although it wasn't far and the floor was carpeted, had dislodged the hose from the mask.

Everything in moderation except laughter. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Love your sense of humor!!! A bit of humor makes a bad day better.
Keep laughing.
Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2012, 09:04 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I once knocked my cpap machine off the night stand and that woke me from a deep sleep.

Just as a thought, I am a very active sleeper. Because of this my CPAP probably wouldn't stand much of a chance on the nightstand. I cleaned out the middle drawer of my nightstand and my CPAP goes in there. I can't close the drawer, and wouldn't want to anyway because it would probably overheat the machine if it didn't get enough air, but it keeps me from damaging my machine on accident. Also because it is lower than my bed, it makes rainout not an issue (not that I have ever noticed much in the way of condensation anyway!). Opening the other drawers tkaes a bit of work now, but hey, what's a little sacrafice? Just a thought.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 629,188 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Long story short chronic 5 413 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,114 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 944 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,105 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Geer1's Story - It isn't always Apnea (or UARS) Geer1 8 1,159 05-20-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Llort
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,889 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.