Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Get latest machine under NHS?
Get latest machine under NHS?
Is it possible to request a specific model or newer machine under NHS or you're stuck with what they give you?

Can you get vouchers to aid with the purchase of your own machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Get latest machine under NHS?
(09-07-2017, 08:04 AM)Tyw7 Wrote: Is it possible to request a specific model or newer machine under NHS or you're stuck with what they give you?

Can you get vouchers to aid with the purchase of your own machine?

Well I was given no choice, I would suggest that you are stuck with what they give you, if anything.

Vouchers? no idea but I would have thought unlikely.

I thought my treatment was carp and I told them so.

Have you seen the UK Apnea site? they seem more concerned about what benefits they can claim than anything else.
Information here is far superior from people who know what they are talking about.

Then of course there is the driving licence fiasco.

Best of luck with the NHS. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Link to a board? THere's like tons found via Google.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tyw7

I wondered about approaching the NHS to change my CPAP Airsense to an AutoPAP in the early days when all my hair was torn out getting used to the therapy.

I had horrific leaks with the FFM but was only given a new one on approach with advice to get a pillows fitting from Resmed in London after which the NHS would give me the right pillows. As I was driven up the wall across the ceiling and down the other side many nights, I bit the bullet and bought the mask at my fitting. Have not looked back since.

Initially had many clear airways events to start with and discomfort with aerophagia and wanted to again ask for the Auto CPAP but those have also settled down. So now I reckon I shall stay with my CPAP as it is working.

Think all Sleep Professionals make you try the standard CPAP to start with, from what I read here.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2017, 05:07 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Think all Sleep Professionals make you try the standard CPAP to start with, from what I read here.

Note that insurance pays the same for either an Auto CPAP or a Fixed CPAP,  Fixed CPAP costs less.  Which would you choose to maximize profits?

Needing BiLevel/BiPap or ASV is different.  For these it is not uncommon to require failure with CPAP first.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2017, 10:21 AM)bonjour Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 05:07 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Think all Sleep Professionals make you try the standard CPAP to start with, from what I read here.

Note that insurance pays the same for either an Auto CPAP or a Fixed CPAP,  Fixed CPAP costs less.  Which would you choose to maximize profits?

Needing BiLevel/BiPap or ASV is different.  For these it is not uncommon to require failure with CPAP first.

Fred

I think in the U.K. the NHS purchases machines in bulk and prefers to dispense the least expensive option. Unlike DMEs in the U.S. the NHS is both the insurer and provider, so there is no "reimbursement" or profit, just a social health program paid through taxes and deductibles.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that covers the situation under the NHS regime very well Sleeprider, very much a case of take what you are given, and don't complain.

Also, as I have said previously, should you be unhappy with your treatment alternative options are extremely limited.
One of the few options you have if you are unhappy with your treatment is to pay for a private consultation, this means you will quite possibly see the same medical professional Dielaughing but skip the extended waiting list.

This is not a situation that I believe many on this site would find acceptable, and as I suspect is usual with any "social health program" those that take the most contribute the least.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,976 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS? TryingToGetItRight 0 445 10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it: Phaleronic 9 899 06-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Request a review of my latest OSCAR graphs KC8RXQ 10 929 09-10-2022, 11:29 AM
Last Post: KC8RXQ
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,880 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,350 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Results of latest sleep study are in, questioning a few things. Jenn84 3 703 11-17-2021, 03:15 PM
Last Post: sheepless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.