Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Getting my son to use his machine
Getting my son to use his machine
Hello. I have just joined this forum on behalf of my teenage son who was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. His recent sleep study indicated that his oxygen level dropped to 76 percent during the test! He has severe depression, high blood pressure, and is generally NOT in a good mood. We have been given a Bipap machine to use, and my son has tried the full face mask, the nasal mask, and the face mask that fits over the nose and mouth. He says he does not like any of them, and that he awakens when he does try to use the mask and it shifts when he moves in his sleep.
With his symptoms, he REALLY NEEDS to give this therapy a try! He is definitely too young to be experiencing any of these symptoms. Could someone, anyone please offer some advise on things to try to make this a success??? I know that once my son grows accustomed to the machine and apparatus, he will definitely begin to feel better.
Please help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Getting my son to use his machine
Hi AnnainWyoming,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
So that your son can get used to the mask and machine, see if he will try wearing his mask and using the machine while watching tv a couple hours during the evening. Hopefully this will help him.
Hang tight for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Have a look at the CPAP PRO mask

it might be the answer for him

I am not aloud to put a link to the site

but click on this link its the top one
http://www.google.ca/search?sugexp=chrom...p+pro+mask
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board, Anna!

I went through a similar challenge, since I'm a pretty active sleeper. Every time I moved, the mask would leak.

What worked for me have been various initerations of the Mirage Activa line of masks from ResMed.

There have been many changes to them over the years, but the basic concept remains the same. The masks have both an inner an outer seal, and the space between them is essentially inflated by the CPAP machine.

They offer both full-face and nasal models, but the nasal type ua especially forgiving of movement during therapy.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Post Reply Post Reply
The mask is by far the hardest part of all this.

Not two masks in any category is the same. Each is a little different.

Keep working on masks. And like Trish said, have him sit up during the day with it on, to get used to the feel and sensations.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
He may need to try a different size headgear or an entirely different headgear. If the mask shifts around, it will wake him up. I had to try several different headgear before I found one that worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2012, 02:50 PM)AnnainWyoming Wrote: With his symptoms, he REALLY NEEDS to give this therapy a try!

So, he's a teenager. And he doesn't want to wear his mask.

The first step is to get him a comfortable mask. That's going to be difficult, but persistence is required here. Nasal masks are more comfortable, so that's the route to try as long as he's not leaking air out his mouth. Some people prefer nasal pillows so try that out. It's very normal for anyone to have to try out different masks to get one that fits right. So, at least that part of it is not due to him being a teenager.

The second issue here is trying to get a teenager to be compliant when he doesn't want to be. He probably looks at it as just one more thing that his parents are making him do, and he rebels as all teenagers tend to do. This is by far the more serious issue.

If he suffers from depression he's probably already seeing a therapist? This is something that needs to be discussed during his therapy. If he doesn't comply with this therapy he will live a miserable sleep-deprived life and die early of a heart attack or stroke.

What does he want out of life? What are the things that are important to him? Find a way to connect all of these quality-of-life issues with his disorder. Every goal he has, every thing he wants to acheive in life, will be so much easier for him if gets good sleep. Conversly, without CPAP therapy nothing will go right for him.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2012, 04:26 PM)Sleepster Wrote: So, he's a teenager. And he doesn't want to wear his mask.

I have been amazed at how many people find me sexually more attractive after starting CPAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Forum. I too am a very active sleeper. One thing that really helped me is to thread the long hose up and through a part of my headboard. Without all the weight from the hose, my mask does not shift as much Remind him that it will get easier, and the rewards will be well worth the struggle. I started with nasal pillows and then switched to the true blue nasal mask....and found heaven. It just worked from the first night I used it. I do still wake up and catch myself checking my mask, but , generally go right back to sleep. I think an active sleeper will just take a bit longer to adapt. But, keep trying and eventually you will find the right mask. I can only imagine what it must be like to be a teenager and facing CPAP. Even for myself, I was quite upset once I was actually diagnosed, though all through the testing I knew I had apnea and thought it was no big deal. Best of luck to you both! Maybe there is a forum specifically for kids....that would be of help, to chat with other young people with the same issues????
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2012, 08:02 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 04:26 PM)Sleepster Wrote: So, he's a teenager. And he doesn't want to wear his mask.

I have been amazed at how many people find me sexually more attractive after starting CPAP therapy.

Good one!

But seriously, better sleep equals better mood, less baggy eyes, more smiles.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,132 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,248 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.