Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Getting my son to use his machine
RE: Getting my son to use his machine
(10-23-2012, 08:02 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 04:26 PM)Sleepster Wrote: So, he's a teenager. And he doesn't want to wear his mask.

I have been amazed at how many people find me sexually more attractive after starting CPAP therapy.

You lucky rascal! My wife won't even look at me while I'm wearing my mask at night, but she sure is happy when I wake up rested with extra energy to burn in the morning ready and able to please her. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2012, 02:50 PM)AnnainWyoming Wrote: Hello. I have just joined this forum on behalf of my teenage son who was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. His recent sleep study indicated that his oxygen level dropped to 76 percent during the test! He has severe depression, high blood pressure, and is generally NOT in a good mood. We have been given a Bipap machine to use, and my son has tried the full face mask, the nasal mask, and the face mask that fits over the nose and mouth. He says he does not like any of them, and that he awakens when he does try to use the mask and it shifts when he moves in his sleep.
With his symptoms, he REALLY NEEDS to give this therapy a try! He is definitely too young to be experiencing any of these symptoms. Could someone, anyone please offer some advise on things to try to make this a success??? I know that once my son grows accustomed to the machine and apparatus, he will definitely begin to feel better.
Please help!

I'm new to cpap and this forum - I read that a good mask can make all the difference and accept the fact that I may have to try several masks, and also that insurance will only supply so many so often. To speed up the process (almost anyone can do this), I have gotten a copy of my prescription, scanned it, then emailed it to my chosen online cpap supplier (which is currently #9 on our supplier list - link is at the top of the page under the R in Board), and started purchasing outright different masks to try. I've already got in a request for a different mask thru my local DME, but must wait 3 months for insurance to cover it. I can purchase online any mask I want to try and have it in 3 days. Doing this could give your son more mask choices faster, rather than him having to just put up with one he don't like until insurance allows another. Some suppliers also offer "mask assurance" - for a small fee you can return a mask you don't want to keep.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2012, 08:02 PM)JJJ Wrote: I have been amazed at how many people find me sexually more attractive after starting CPAP therapy.

Seriously? That's how you get her in the mood? Dielaughing
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most DMEs have a mask policy where you can try one out for anywhere from two weeks to 30 days. Even my supplier, who are idiots, does this.

I don't think there's a one of us that got the right mask the first time. I think I went through at least 6-8 before I got it right. Since then, I guess I've tried six more as masks stop being made or are updated. Sometimes, you'll know the first night it's not going to work. Others may take several nights.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned above, the CPAP mask is the most difficult aspects of the circuit to get used too. Firstly, how much was your son involved in choosing the mask? If not much, engage him in discussions about the style and type of mask might work best for him. The more sense of ownership he has in the process, the more he will feel invested in the outcome. Secondly, get him to use the mask while awake. Getting comfortable putting it on and taking it off increases the comfort level. Also, by wearing the mask while awake, he understands the sensation of having the mask on. Finally, become fully knowledgeable about what the treatment is all about and what the benefits are. Discuss sleep and the negative consequences of sleep deprivation. Set small goals and chart results. Small steps will lead to big improvements down the road.
Post Reply Post Reply
So hard. My son is 14, so I feel your pain.
My son's diagnosis came as a result of mine and my Mom's. So he has seen what lack of good sleep can do, first hand.
His DX was OSA, but his Restless Leg Syndrome was much worse during the sleep study. For that, they have him working to get his iron levels higher.
We explained all of the later in life issues that untreated OSA can cause as well as the day to day results, tired, brain doesn't work very well, ect.. I think the huge thing for him has been how seriously we take this at home. The ENT Doctor told him that if he doesn't wear his mask, the next step would be surgery, that may or may not help.
If he was old enough to drive, he would lose that privilege if his mask time wasn't high enough each morning. Since that isn't on the table yet, We tie it to his allowance and electronics privileges. And we stick to it. No exceptions. I have him wear his mask before bed time, usually when he's reading. If he was epileptic, I wouldn't let him not take his medicine, so in my mind, this is the same.
I also pull his SD card and check his progress with SleepyHead every few days or at least once a week.
Of course it's hard. I can totally sympathize with him on that. Once you get a good mask and just plain get used to it, it's not that bad.
Once he has worn it consistently for a couple of months, if he goes with out it for a night, he will notice a difference in how he feels and his energy levels.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,789 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,249 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.