Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Getting the right pressure
RE: Getting the right pressure
I'm also wondering if those events early in the night might be largely fraudulent - like, maybe they're just a misinterpretation of awkward, wakeful breathing (I'm not not used to the pressure, so maybe I'm holding my breath). 

With or without CPAP, it has ALWAYS taken me at least 30-45 minutes to fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at a partial soft cervical collar like the Dr Dakota Stop Snore or The Eliminator Series Sleep Aid Cushion Travel Sleep Pillow Cushion. Both just provide support to prevent your chin from dropping and causing this kind of obstruction. I don't like leaving a machine wide open for pressure. In your case, if the apnea does not resolve somewhere between 14 and 16 cm, it's not going to at 20. I'm rather convinced this has a large positional component and will be taken care of very quickly when you find a good solution for that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm up for trying it, but check this out. This is the data from me lying down, wide awake, staring at my phone for around 45 minutes just now. 

AHI 20.56, mostly obstructive apneas and a few hypopneas. Pressure climbed up to the max (which I limited to 13).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Awake breathing is very irregular so the "events" are meaningless. The machine does not know that you are not asleep so you need to discount event when you are not asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2018, 09:54 PM)tedvpap Wrote: Awake breathing is very irregular so the "events" are meaningless.  The machine does not know that you are not asleep so you need to discount event when you are not asleep.  

That's what I'm saying. My report for last night was front-loaded with apneas and hypopneas, but I'm thinking I was probably awake for a good portion of that (ie, they're false reports).
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at your chart you had plenty of events throughout the night not just at the beginning.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
See, now you have to use a collar just to lay down and read your phone. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2018, 02:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Take a look at a partial soft cervical collar like the Dr Dakota Stop Snore or The Eliminator Series Sleep Aid Cushion Travel Sleep Pillow Cushion.  Both just provide support to prevent your chin from dropping and causing this kind of obstruction... I'm rather convinced this has a large positional component and will be taken care of very quickly when you find a good solution for that.

Just posting to keep this thread alive. Thanks to all of you again for your advice.

I did order one of the Eliminator collars and will be giving it a try tonight. I'll post results first thing in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's last night. Looks pretty good (technically sub-clinical Bigwink ). Still have some pretty regular obstructives.  

I'll give it another night without changing the pressures.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2018, 07:18 AM)Rcol Wrote: Here's last night. Looks pretty good (technically sub-clinical Bigwink ). Still have some pretty regular obstructives.  

I'll give it another night without changing the pressures.

Raising your min pressure is helping your OSA.  

Have you ever zoomed in to look at your OSA events?  Do they look like OSA?  If so, then pressure is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 19,117 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 1,010 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 676 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,602 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,482 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,424 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,704 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.