Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Good AHI with CPAP - is an oxygen tracker worth it?
Good AHI with CPAP - is an oxygen tracker worth it?
Hi Folks -

I've been on CPAP for a little over a month. Is it worth getting an oxygen tracker like the Wellue O2 Ring to ensure that I'm getting the best therapy possible? For those who use an oxygen tracker, how has it helped you?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good AHI with CPAP - is an oxygen tracker worth it?
I have a Contec CMSF50 which cost me a bit under $80 with shipping.
If I ask my Doctor to do an overnight pulse oximetry test then it's going to cost north of $200.
With pressure setting of 6-20 my AHI was under 2, but my sleeping SpO2 levels hovered around 90 ..dipping down into the low 80's.(not enough to qualify for supplemental Oxygen but enough to be of concern to me)
With pressure settings at 8-20 my AHI is under 1(no great difference) but my sleeping SpO2 levels hover around 95 dipping into the low 90's.
I feel better with the higher minimum settings so the $80 was worthwhile.
Post Reply Post Reply
Contec CMS50F here also. Had 2 overnight PulseOx tests and my average O2 was high 80's with dips to low 80's. Just above the threshold for needing supplemental oxygen. Doc's recommended monitoring SpO2. My APAP has brought my O2 levels back above 90-91 for most of the night.
If you have other health issues (besides SA) it's never a bad idea to keep an eye on things and share the info with your Doc(s). Just about any "recording" oximetry device should work. But if you want to import the data into OSCAR there are only certain ones that will be compatible.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2020, 10:49 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: Contec CMS50F here also.   But if you want to import the data into OSCAR there are only certain ones that will be compatible.

Which other monitors can be imported into OSCAR ( I assume that your Contec CMS50F does so easily). I think monitoring O2 and seeing it as part of OSCAR display could be very valuable and the cost seems reasonable.
Post Reply Post Reply
From the oximeter import wizard in OSCAR
OSCAR gives you the ability to track Oximetry data alongside CPAP session data, which can give valuable insight into the effectiveness of CPAP treatment. It will also work standalone with your Pulse Oximeter, allowing you to store, track and review your recorded data.
OSCAR is currently compatible with Contec CMS50D+, CMS50E, CMS50F and CMS50I serial oximeters.
(Note: Direct importing from bluetooth models is probably not possible yet)
You may wish to note, other companies, such as Pulox, simply rebadge Contec CMS50's under new names, such as the Pulox PO-200, PO-300, PO-400. These should also work.
It also can read from ChoiceMMed MD300W1 oximeter .dat files.
Post Reply Post Reply
Liteheart1, it's just a matter of plugging the supplied cable into the CMS50F and then into a USB port on your computer. Import your SD card data first, then the oximeter data. Not much to it! Smile
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!!! This is very helpful!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Is a pulse oximeter worth it?  One big resounding YES!!!

About 1 month after I started CPAP back in 2016 my sleep doctor asked if I felt better, if I was sleeping better, etc.  I answered that I did not feel any better and did not sleep any better even though my AHI level was running better on CPAP (below 2.0, had been over 15 pre-CPAP).  I showed them a copy of my pulse oximeter results with my %SpO2 level running below 88% continuously for over 400 minutes at a time.  Had I not done that I think it would have been at least a year before they would have done any further testing to try to determine why I was not feeling improved.  That's a long time to go with consistent excessively low %SpO2 levels.

The medical center (of course) would not believe my oximeter results but they supplied me with one of their official pulse oximeters to use over night.  That night I wore both oximeters, theirs and mine, on my left hand using my index finger for my oximeter and my ring finger for their oximeter.

We picked the right night!  Their oximeter came back with over 300 minutes continuously below 88% and my oximeter came back with 'only' 200+ minutes continuously below 88%.

They immediately put me on supplemental oxygen.  I have subsequently tweaked the oxygen levels using my pulse oximeters as guides.

I just got a new Wellue pulse oximeter, my two previous Contecs had their displays fade away until they became unusable.  The fading took about 3 years total for each oximeter.  The CMS500er I purchased in 2014 faded away by 2017.  The CMS500i I purchased in 2017 has now become too faint to use anymore.  Note, both oximeters are/were capable of storing data for at least an entire night's sleep period which I would then download (upload?) into my computer (p.c.) and create pdf charts for each sleep period which I keep for every recorded sleep session.

Had it not been for my pulse oximeters, I would not have known about my excessively low %SpO2 levels.  My AHI levels were fine (around 2 events per sleep period) and did not indicate my existing very low blood oxygen.  Since I started CPAP in 2016, my AHI levels and %SpO2 levels have not correlated at all.  Not even close.  My problem of low %SpO2 levels is probably related to my shallow breathing when I'm sleeping, not multiple AHI events.

For what it's worth (probably very little).
Tubaman
"We run as fast as we can.  To get as far as we can.  So that when we finally get there we have that much further to run to get back to where we should have been."
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd recommend a Oximeter for anyone whose diagnostic study, or medical history, shows a history of low O2. Why, just to verify that your therapy has successfully eliminated desats. CPAP therapy will normally, not always, manage desats.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whoa. Buying one today!!!! Kinda put it off because I could not find any of the ones recommended to work with Oscar, but I’ll get it done! Thank you and I’m glad you’re getting the treatment you need now!

(03-08-2020, 08:45 AM)bonjour Wrote: I'd recommend a Oximeter for anyone whose diagnostic study, or medical history, shows a history of low O2.  Why, just to verify that your therapy has successfully eliminated desats. CPAP therapy will normally, not always, manage desats.

Thank you for your posts! In the comment above, you mentioned several models that work with Oscar, but I’m having a hard time finding them for purchase. Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,753 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 687 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 928 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.