Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Guidelines on placement of CPAC machine on night stand
Guidelines on placement of CPAC machine on night stand
I have a new ResMed S10 Airsense and want to place it on a night stand 24 inches below the height of the mattress. Will this work or will it reduce the output of the machine?  Are there any guidelines on the placement of the machine?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Guidelines on placement of CPAC machine on night stand
Hi alxyz!  -  Welcome

If you are using a humidifier, the accepted practice is to position the CPAP just below the top of the mattress.  You should run the hose above your head and then back down to the mask.   This will help if you experience condensation forming in the hose.  This is commonly referred to as "rain out". Routing the hose, as I have described, will allow any moisture to remain near the CPAP and not in your mask.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
how tall is your bed and/or how short is your night stand? 2 ft difference might as well be leaving it on the floor with a normal bed/mattress...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a file cabinet beside our bed. It's almost level with the top mattress. I also use some Rubbermaid grip shelf liner and place my machine on that. It's kind of rubberized and grips the machine very well. 

Once placed on the Rubbermaid liner, it's almost impossible for the machine to be pulled off. I also use a hose hanger that I fabricated myself. The air hose runs inside a hose cover.

Between all of the above, my machine is secure and I've yet to experience any rain out that I know of. The hose cover is a very good thing to have. It keeps the hose virtually silent if it should move and rub against something. And, it provides some degree of insulation for the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Top of mattress is 28 inches above floor and  bottom shelf of night stand is 6 inches above floor. I have heated tubing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Myself, I'd want my machine higher off the floor, if for nothing else, easier accessibility and a cleaner environment for it. Lots of dust on most floors that gets kicked around all too often.
Post Reply Post Reply
That all makes sense.  I just want to be other things on top of my night stand but that will have to change. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Works for me.  Mine is in a 2-drawer nightstand on the bottom shelf with a 2-inch hole cut in the back for the power and tube.  It routes upward on the headboard so that any water falls back into the humidifier.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5043]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great idea.  How long have you had this setup.  Do you have a heated tube and what about rain out?

Do you keep the tube on that hood at night or just to get it out of the way in the day?
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I forgot to add in regards to easy machine accessibility. I need to get up several times during the night to go use the restroom. 3-5 times a night isn't all that uncommon. 

By having my machine slightly above the level of our top mattress, I can easily reach over and turn it off, prior to disconnecting the air tube from my mask. 

And, if I feel the need to make any machine adjustments during the night, I can do so easily enough. No having to reach way down towards the floor, or the need to open a bedside stand drawer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAC DOESNT SEEM TO HELP. Bobbyc 8 331 03-24-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] Still Having Issues With Hose Placement DavyP49 3 521 10-19-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DavyP49
  Creative solutions if you don't have a night stand? rpierce 6 631 08-28-2023, 06:51 AM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 555 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 849 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.