Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Guidelines on placement of CPAC machine on night stand
RE: Guidelines on placement of CPAC machine on night stand
Can’t you just takeoff the mask and lay it down without turning off the machine? Getting up 3 to 5 times a night sounds like my pattern but that’s another problem I’m working on.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you put it in that position make sure that the hose is long enough for all your sleeping positions.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to track use data accurately, it's best to shut machine off when the mask comes off. If there's some comfort or setting reason that you don't like starting the session over, there's probably a need to get OSCAR for data and see if the settings can be optimized for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I simply disconnect the hose or remove my mask w/o 1st turning the machine off, it will continue to blow air for a few seconds. The air flow is quite loud and wakes my wife. 

If I turn the machine off first, it pretty much stops the air flow immediately and w/o delay. Once back in bed, I reconnect the air hose to the mask and then take a breath or two. It starts right back up.  like
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2020, 12:03 PM)alxyz Wrote: Great idea.  How long have you had this setup.  Do you have a heated tube and what about rain out?

Do you keep the tube on that hood at night or just to get it out of the way in the day?

I have used this arrangement for at least 8-years and with 3 different machines, all wtih heated tubes.  It works great, prevents any possibility of tip-over and is super quiet.  Air exchange is no problem because the volumes are actually pretty low and the cabinet is not air-tight. The tube is hung on a lanyard hooked to the headboard. This keeps it suspended enough to move with me at night and avoids rainout. During the day, I can unhook it and everything disappears. The 2-inch hole in the back of the cabinet allows for everything to be concealed during the day (drawer is shut).  This is the back of the cabinet

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5044]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=29670][attachment=29670][attachment=29670][attachment=29671][attachment=29671]Brilliant, Sleeprider.  I'm just placing mine and sure prefer to have it on a shelf, rather than the top of the nightstand.  I haven't yet; but it seemed it would work best if I made a hole in the back of the shelf for the hose.  How much bigger than the hose did you make the hole?
Oh, I see below, you made a 2" hole.

ResMed said not to put it in a drawer.  I wondered if that is because it should be on a level surface or is it because it needs a lot of air space around it - to be well vented.  As far as wireless, I'll usually be sleeping with airplane mode on (to decrease EMF) and only turn on when away from unit.  I'll use a SD card too (though maybe I should get ResMed's since only 2 GB and mine from camera is 32 GB and probably overkill).

There's almost a foot behind the machine, several inches on either side; but not as generous on top - 2" from top of hose to top of shelf, tapering to only about 1/2" of airspace at the highest point of the AirSense 10.  Can still get my fingers in there for the on/off.

Do you think that is ample space?  I'll upload a few snaps if that makes it easier to visualize.  And yes, it's below my head.

Remember2Breathe

Ooops........couldn't see my attachments, so just kept clicking...........
Sorry for redundancy.

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like a great setup. I would not worry about Resmed's cautions. There is more than enough air circulating around our machines, and they are much safer ion a shelf like yours than sitting in the open. I really like how yours is setup. Out of the way, easy to access. Looks like it belongs. Routing the tube from the back would be a better finishing touch.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed!  I have one of those drill bits that I used once to make an artsy ladder with 2" dowels as steps coming out either side of a 4"x4" (or was it a 6x6).  I'll try to use that.  Gonna take my first night experience to a more appropriate thread.  

Thanks,

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, Deleted attachments (to free up space).

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAC DOESNT SEEM TO HELP. Bobbyc 8 340 03-24-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,211 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] Still Having Issues With Hose Placement DavyP49 3 522 10-19-2023, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DavyP49
  Creative solutions if you don't have a night stand? rpierce 6 632 08-28-2023, 06:51 AM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 555 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.