Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Oxygen Concentrators: Noise vs. Output Level Setting?
Oxygen Concentrators: Noise vs. Output Level Setting?
Question:  With oxygen concentrators, does the noise level vary depending on the continuous flow rate setting that you select (e.g. 2 L/min vs. 5 L/min)?

Context:
  • I am looking at adding supplemental oxygen to my CPAP.
  • In theory, I should need less than 5 L/min oxygen flow to achieve my target. But, in practice, I might need a higher oxygen flow to compensate for the CPAP's dilution and full face mask leak rate.
  • I am trying to decide between 2 models:
  • Philips Respironics Millennium M10: 10 L/min max flow, 48 dB noise, 600 W average
  • Philips Respironics EverFlo: 5 L/min max flow, 45 dB noise, 350 W average.
  • So: If I get the Millennium M10 and only run it it at 5 L/min (50% max output setting), will it be quieter than 48 dB and closer to the EverFlo?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oxygen Concentrators: Noise vs. Output Level Setting?
I don't know how O2 concentrators are currently supplied, but when my sister had one, it came with 15 kilometers (exaggeration) of hose, so the base unit could be placed in another room. Is this not the case now, or is this impractical for you?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am on 01 24/7. I have a 50 ft oxygen line. My concentrator is in the.middle of the house and when I am in another room I cannnot hear any noise.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of things.

Yes a concentrator is quieter on a lower setting, but probably note as big a difference as you assume. The compressor running is what causes most of the noise but there are also fans to draw cooling air across the compressor. Larger compressor usually means louder base noise level.

All that said you can run a hose up to 100ft if needed and place the concentrator anywhere. But, be practical and use the shortest hose that works. I need 2l/m of o2. Using a 25ft or less hose I set the concentrator on 2l. At 50ft I had to turn it up to 2.5ish. At 100ft I had to turn up to almost 4l. All to get the same rate of flow and pressure. note: I has using a non calibrated flow/pressure meter

It has been to many years since I took fluid dynamics but I think it is a result of drag and backpressure from that drag (friction).
Post Reply Post Reply
Appreciate the suggestions around moving the oxygen concentrator to another room. Unfortunately, given the floor plan here, placing the concentrator in another room isn't much of an option. I might be able to place it in the bedroom closet with some ventilation and an air quality monitor, though.

(08-13-2023, 07:58 PM)robbob2112 Wrote: Yes a concentrator is quieter on a lower setting, but probably note as big a difference as you assume. The compressor running is what causes most of the noise but there are also fans to draw cooling air across the compressor. Larger compressor usually means louder base noise level.

Thanks! This is what I was looking for. It sounds like I can maybe lose a couple dB when running a large concentrator a lower setting, but should not expect to match the noise efficiency of a lower-output model.
Post Reply Post Reply
One other suggestion, 

Place a sheet of rock wool or other noise dampening material between you and it.  Putting it in an enclosed space like a closet or otherwise blocking the airflow would likely cause it to overheat or burn out quicker.  I uses an Everflow 5L model to heat my mother's room in winter, and I live at 9k ft so it gets cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sister placed hers in the bathroom with the door kept closed, and opened a window. From what I remember, they do generate some heat.

-- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  traveling from sea level to SLC eok361 2 74 04-16-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 133 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 275 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Trigger Setting Switch - Aircurve 10 MrIvanDrago 4 154 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CPAP to ASV setting translation? Moemah123 2 521 04-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Yujiyun
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 257 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 147 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.