Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] HOW ACCURATE IS CPAP STATS?
HOW ACCURATE IS CPAP STATS?
I’m new and if this is covered or belongs elsewhere please tell me and move it. The amount of information using Sleepyhead is mind blowing and I have trouble remembering what everything means and what is important.

I’m trying to stay with the most relevant items like AHI, which I should be happy with because it is always under 5. While I only just started this 8/14 I’m concerned that my overall nights sleep hasn’t improved. I get up whether I need to every few hours for a restroom call and prostate problems have been confirmed. The Urologist sent me this direction before taking more serious action. The Sleep people have convinced me that it might take as much as 90 days to finally get results.

But for me it means other things may be affecting my sleep beyond AHI and prostate. So I’m thinking snoring may be waking me up. My Sleepyhead chart is full of snoring and I didn’t even know I snored.

In the process of trying to evaluate the results I believe I’ve discovered that many of the items noted statistically on my Dreamstation seem to be bogus. The CPAP is reporting snoring when I know for certain I was awake and also some AHI events as well. Much of the worst numbers appear around the few minutes I turn the machine on and try to resume sleeping and I’m certain they didn't happen.

I don't think the CPAP can hear me snore so it must be using my breathing and airway difference to report events inaccurately. Is it known that I’m right or is there some reason for all this? Am I overthinking the situation, as is one of my weaknesses? Is there anything I should be looking at that is just as important or more so than what I am concerned with here?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HOW ACCURATE IS CPAP STATS?
Bruce,

In the events you can ignore the VS2 snores those are not real snores and can be ignored we are not sure their true meaning as Philips don’t publish any details, the VS1 snores are real and with hypopnea show that a higher minimum pressure is required I would suggest raising your minimum pressure from its current 7cm to 8cm we may even go higher but let’s see how 8 is first. That change will reduce your AHI further and my help your waking as there will be fewer pressure changes
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HOW ACCURATE IS CPAP STATS?
Thanks Jaswilliams I will make that change immediately and now I know more of what to look for and boy does that change everything on the snoring. It looks like I'm really not snoring that much at all and it probably isn't waking me up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 92 Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 365 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 346 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [CPAP] Oura Ring Sleep Stats with CPAP FooMan 2 1,150 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Chask
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 414 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,502 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  oscar stats-need help teamarliss 2 393 12-07-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: teamarliss

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.