Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Have you changed from the S9 auto set to the AS 10 auto set ?
Question 
Have you changed from the S9 auto set to the AS 10 auto set ?
Hi everyone. I've been completely satisfied with the S9 auto set for about six years. Excellent sleep reports. I can get a new CPAP and my insurance company + company benefits will pay 100% for any machine.

Has anyone here used the S9 auto set and then changed to the AirSense 10 auto set ?

If so, please describe if and how it changed your sleep, what you like about it and don't like about it.

The few reviews of the AS 10 are mixed. I don't use humification and don't need wireless.

Thanks.

Doctor as in Ph.D.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Have you changed from the S9 auto set to the AS 10 auto set ?
I had an S9 briefly (bought used, but had some problems with it and returned it). The only reason for getting the AS10 is because my main problem was RERAs and the S9 does not track them. Otherwise, if you like the S9, no reason why you can't stick with it. It is now out of production, but word is that parts will continue to be available for 7 years. I want a used S9 as a backup unit.

What do I like about the Autoset? My cat can't step on the controls and shut it off. I was very puzzled by my Sleepyhead information until I figured out that she was stepping on the on/off button at night. If you don't use humidification, the unit is super small for travel, which is why I want it as a backup unit. The algorithm is pretty much the same as the S9 UNLESS you get the Autoset for Her. That unit has 3 settings and tracks RERAs.

So, I would say stick with what you have and get a new S9. The technology hasn't advanced from the S9 other than the For Her setting and since you are getting good sleep, no need to change that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 01:35 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I had an S9 briefly (bought used, but had some problems with it and returned it). The only reason for getting the AS10 is because my main problem was RERAs and the S9 does not track them. Otherwise, if you like the S9, no reason why you can't stick with it. It is now out of production, but word is that parts will continue to be available for 7 years. I want a used S9 as a backup unit.

What do I like about the Autoset? My cat can't step on the controls and shut it off. I was very puzzled by my Sleepyhead information until I figured out that she was stepping on the on/off button at night. If you don't use humidification, the unit is super small for travel, which is why I want it as a backup unit. The algorithm is pretty much the same as the S9 UNLESS you get the Autoset for Her. That unit has 3 settings and tracks RERAs.

So, I would say stick with what you have and get a new S9. The technology hasn't advanced from the S9 other than the For Her setting and since you are getting good sleep, no need to change that.

Thank you very much. Why did ResMed make a new machine with little or no improvements?

The S9 may not detect RERAs, but it does treat them, correct?

This paragraph from another website seems not accurate, as 2 of the 3 features are also found on the S9:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AirSense™ is a later model than the S9, so as a matter of course it will also incorporate features in addition to the ones already mentioned:

• AutoRamp: The AirSense™ series adds to the ResMed arsenal the AutoRamp feature, which provides patients with low pressure to fall asleep. AutoRamp also incorporates sleep onset detection, which senses and automatically adjusts to sleep once achieved, and then ramps up pressure during sleep.

• SmartStart: Always achieving innovation in their products, ResMed also added the SmartStart function to make starting therapy easier. Patients simply breathe in and their treatment starts automatically!

• EPR: Finally, AirSense™ adds expository pressure relief (EPR) to relieve pressure during each of the 3 critical phases of breathing:
From exhale to inhale
From inhale to exhale
After exhalation
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 02:09 AM)Doctor Wrote: The S9 may not detect RERAs, but it does treat them, correct?
That is good assumption, because if machine report RERA, cannot be treating it Thinking-about

RERA detection require ECG but both Respironcis and Resmed say their machines can detect RERA. I suppose we can take their word for it, but they don't say, what to do about them or what is an acceptable number
IMO, get AHI as low as possible, find a comfortable mask, and get some decent refreshing sleep

All the that AirSesne stuff is for marketing purposes, probably right now on, they're working the next machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Doctor,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it does treat RERAs. I could see the difference when I tried a lower straight pressure, lots of RERAs showed up. They don't show up when set to auto. Respironics 60 auto also detects RERAs, but didn't seem to treat as well. However, it could simply be that I'm one of those rare birds who don't do as well with the Respironics algorithm.

The ramping feature is supposed to be improved, but since I mostly don't use the ramp, I don't know.

I personally think the humidity chamber is a lot easier to fill and clean than the one in the S9. I have vision and arthritis issues, so your experience may vary. I can buy a slat that fits over the chamber slot and leave the humidifier at home when I travel as well. So, in that way, it is as convenient to travel with as the S9. Fits well in your suitcase. However, you didn't use humidifier in the first place. So, in my opinion, the humidity chamber and the addition of RERA detection are the main changes. The For Her model adds an additional algorithm that is based on how women breathe, but since you are already doing great, no need to change that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only upgraded from an S8 to an S9 in 2014. At first the one thing I didn't like about the S9 was having the hose fitting on the back of the humidifier. Simple solution, I turned the machine around! I really like the tank setup on the S9. If you've had an S8, you'll know why the S9 tank is way better.

I'm not crazy about how they integrated the humidifier on the 10 series. Nor do I think the 10 series tank is an improvement. I'll stick with my S9 at least 3 more years.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 12:33 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Yes, it does treat RERAs. I could see the difference when I tried a lower straight pressure, lots of RERAs showed up. They don't show up when set to auto. Respironics 60 auto also detects RERAs, but didn't seem to treat as well. However, it could simply be that I'm one of those rare birds who don't do as well with the Respironics algorithm.

The ramping feature is supposed to be improved, but since I mostly don't use the ramp, I don't know.

I personally think the humidity chamber is a lot easier to fill and clean than the one in the S9. I have vision and arthritis issues, so your experience may vary. I can buy a slat that fits over the chamber slot and leave the humidifier at home when I travel as well. So, in that way, it is as convenient to travel with as the S9. Fits well in your suitcase. However, you didn't use humidifier in the first place. So, in my opinion, the humidity chamber and the addition of RERA detection are the main changes. The For Her model adds an additional algorithm that is based on how women breathe, but since you are already doing great, no need to change that.

Thank you. Does the S9 treat RERAs ? Don't care if they are not reported, but they might be worth treating. I use EPR of 3, but no ramping. Don't ever use water, but need the humidification chamber for ClimateLine air heating during one or two months of Winter.

Heard that the early AS 10's had problems with noise, display, and humidification, but those issues have been resolved.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2015, 12:33 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Yes, it does treat RERAs. I could see the difference when I tried a lower straight pressure, lots of RERAs showed up. They don't show up when set to auto.
at what lower straight pressure and what is the current 95th percentile and maximum pressures?

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2015, 10:38 PM)Doctor Wrote: Has anyone here used the S9 auto set and then changed to the AirSense 10 auto set ?
I've used S9 AutoSet when first diagnosed in 2010, late last year started on A10 AutoSet
(regular version and one the first models doesn't report RERAs)

There is no point listing all the options and features of both machines, the clinical manual explain all of that and available via email, the link to "CPAP Setup Manuals" is at the top of the page

A10 does not work without the water chamber in place but you can get $20 side cover replaces the water chamber and goes in the same hole as the water chamber

If you're on straight pressure 11, then both machines are identical, they blow 11 all night long, except Ramp period

I've always used S9 Autoset on auto 9-15, 95th percentile around 11. when used A10 at the same settings, pressure always increased to the top and stayed there for most of the night. The A10 auto algorthim didn't suit me, but might works differently for someone else ... everyone is different. Now I'm using the machine at constant 12, Ramp start at 10 for 10 minutes. No difference in AHI (most of the time below 1 and lower)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 325 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 393 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 231 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.