Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP & Heartburn / GERD
CPAP & Heartburn / GERD
Hi,
First off thanks for all the great advice I've gotten from the folks here, it helped a lot !! Thanks

When I first started I had been given the wrong mask by a poor excuse for a DME company. Now that I am with a great DME company, I'm sleeping 8+ hours a night, my AHI is down below 4 every night {still a few clusters in REM sleep}, and I'm feeling more rested. I've been on the new mask about 3 weeks now. A week ago my wife pointed out I had been drinking much more milk than normal, that was when I realized I was pounding the milk to help with the heartburn / GERD. My heartburn has been well under control with a prescribed PPI for years.
Has anyone else seen an increase in either GERD or heartburn since using CPAP? Early on, I did need to lower the pressure due to Aerophagia and those symptoms seem much better.
Thanks !!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP & Heartburn / GERD
First, milk actually can make GERD worse in some people. The fact that you have GERD already, I would check with your regular doctor. In my case, it turned out not to be worse GERD but a pulled muscle. In the meantime, write down what you eat and drink and the quantity and try a wedge raise up your upper body if you sleep on your back. If you sleep on your side , chances are it'll make your back hurt. You have to raise the front of the bed and that is a bit more complicated. The list will help the doc eliminate some possibilities.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try raising the head of your bed a few inches. That helped me a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2015, 03:49 PM)Let Me Sleep Wrote: I realized I was pounding the milk to help with the heartburn / GERD. My heartburn has been well under control with a prescribed PPI for years.
Has anyone else seen an increase in either GERD or heartburn since using CPAP?

I suffered with this problem for years & it was made worse by CPAP. My Doc prescribed "Ranitidine" (Zantac) night & morning. The GERD went away from the first tablet & as long as I continue taking them, It won't return. Available over the counter this drug, unlike others, like Nexium or Somac, is renal friendly.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Health] AFIB, APNEA, GERD, IPF bjnor 5 502 04-14-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: bjnor
  Slight aerophagia? Leading to gerd induced chronic cough legrunt 6 1,048 09-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: legrunt
  heartburn? cdm807 5 2,039 10-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Last Post: cdm807
  [Health] Apnea and GERD SleepyVenter 5 1,873 08-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Exclaimation WOW!! Just realized that CPAP has nearly put an end to my horrid heartburn and reflux kyhmm72 10 2,995 04-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Last Post: giagray
  [Pressure] What if my C-PAP is causing my GERD? BruceLeitertheWriter 6 4,015 04-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Idea [Health] Apneas & GERD (Reflux) TassieJeff 9 4,719 04-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Last Post: TassieJeff

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.