Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help
Sad 
Help
I have had my cpap for over 7 years. I'm not sure how long. My cpap looks ancient compared to the ones I see online. I got it through Kaiser Permanante CA, back when I had great medical insurance. I'm pretty positive my cpap has a short in the wiring. It turns on and off by itself and air pressure changes sometimes.

I have no idea about what type of sleep Apnea I have or anything about the machine. Can I just buy a new machine that will automatically adjust to my needs? And can I buy one without a prescription?

I regret not finding out more about all this when I had medical insurance. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help
You need a prescription if you are going to get one legally. But that prescription can be written by any physician. I suggest you go for an autoPAP as it will adjust to what you need each night. You'll need to watch the data and help it narrow down the range over time. You can go to Supplier #2 (found here) and get one that is open box or gently used. The Respironics models are cheaper than the ResMed.

There are ways to get one without a prescription but it is illegal, although it happens on a regular basis. That is through you local newspapers or through Craigslist. But it is buyer beware. Know what you are getting before you make the purchase. Don't buy one from a smoker.

For me, getting my used Autoset from Supplier #2 was much less of a mental drama than getting one through the local paper even though I had to pay more. My GP wrote the prescription.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lindalamar1, WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
And when Paula says it is "illegal", this is almost totally an issue for the SELLER, not for you.

However, if you have insurance now, or can get it, you really do want to see a doc, perhaps have a sleep study, and then get the best machine for your condition.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.