Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help!
Sad 
Help!
I have been using CPAP since the last time I went into atrial fibrillation when I was 42. I am now 45. My setting is at 18. For the last three years I have been having multiple startle awakenings. I went for a titration study. The sleep technologist said I am now a 20. My doctor called today and said I should be a 12 according to the study. I do not see how I am going from an 18 to a 12 considering I have gained 30 pounds in the last three years. Likewise I have been having palpitations the last couple of months night and day. Why would the technologist say I need 20? My doctor said he is going to look at the study and see what it says to see if the report he got was an old fashioned cut and paste error on the part of the tech. I know how to change my settings myself. I always feel like crap in the am even with cpap. Are there any other techniques to tell if I am at the correct setting or I need to go up or down. Because of my heart arrhythmia issue I am afraid to experiment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help!
Hi Ron. Welcome to the forum. Which model machine do you have? Is it a CPAP, Auto, or BiPAP? Anyone with the high pressures you have should probably be using an Auto=BiPAP (bilevel) with lower exhale pressure and higher inhale pressure. Most modern machines provide very good data to let you interpret the effectiveness of the therapy. If your machine has a SD card at the center-to-rear of the blower unit, you can read that data using Sleepyhead. It's free and easy to install following the link at the top of this page.

To help you we are going to need a little more information regarding the model of your machine and how old it is. There is a considerable discrepancy between what you're hearing from the sleep technologist and your doctor. Did you recently have a sleep study? Can you post the results? Is your doctor in general practice or sleep specialty? It's a little hard to understand how he comes to such a radically different conclusion than a tech who is probably relying on clinical study data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Ron. Welcome to the Apnea Board forum. Smile

The SleepyHead software is great for showing detailed information about how many apnea events you are having each night plus other information that can be used to see if the pressure you've been using is correct for you.

It does seem very odd that the sleep technologist and the doctor would have such different recommendations. I'm wondering what the doctor meant by a "cut-and-paste" error. That sounds like maybe he was possibly looking at someone else's sleep study report.

If you can get a copy of your titration study report, that would be great. It's good to keep copies of any sleep studies that you have done for future reference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I downloaded the sleepyhead software but it only reads basic info, setting, hours used for my machine, Very disappointing. There is a software named Encore that reads for my machine but it has been discontinued since 2014.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead will display way more than basic data. It may be a matter of the set-up. Some of our Sleepyhead experts will help. I am not one. Encore pro and Encore basic to my knowledge are still available.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2016, 10:02 AM)roninmaryland Wrote: Thanks. I downloaded the sleepyhead software but it only reads basic info, setting, hours used for my machine, Very disappointing. There is a software named Encore that reads for my machine but it has been discontinued since 2014.

What model is your machine. The CPAP SE does not provide efficacy data. The Pro, auto and BiPAP all have data. If you want to use Encore, just download it from the forum from this link: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi roninmaryland,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you remove the humidifier tank, you should find the model number on the bottom of the machine, this will help others to help you, if you will post this information.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.