Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Anyone had problem switching from dreamstation to airsense [breathing problem]
RE: Anyone had problem switching from dreamstation to airsense [breathing problem]
Here is airsense 11 bad night.  notice that first part of the night shows on the 12th, and the rest of the night on the 13th.
on the 12th I went to bed around 3:30 am.  so about 8 hours there until noon
on the 13th there is continuance of another 3 hours for total 3:30 am till 15pm [3pm]
total of around 11 1/2 or12hours.  
readings are not bad but after i was up awhile, got tired again and i dozed in recliner quite a while

Am i missing something in the readings?  why was i so tired? [sleeping too long and then taking a nap]

thanks.  I am frustrated [not with your group, with cpap.  and I have been on cpap since the late 90's]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Anyone had problem switching from dreamstation to airsense [breathing problem]
Note the ResMed breaks 24 hour days in the reports from noon to noon. So if you have a sleep session starting before noon and ending after that same the next noon encountered, it's broken up between days.

Part of your disruptive sleep is mask and mouth leaks. Those massive little mask leak spikes would possibly induce an arousal. The chart for the 12th had those more often than ideal. The 13th had a long section of mouth leak pattern. That can be disruptive and robs therapy effectiveness.

Next there's flow limits that are probably limiting therapy effectiveness as well.

Final thought is if you need to sleep 10 plus hours and take naps too, it's a possibility that there's health issues above and beyond Apnea causing fatigue. Of course the PAP therapy doesn't appear to be helping you rest with completely effectively due to the above mentioned leaks and flow limits.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, thanks. Normally, until this winter, i need 9 hours of sleep.  not in bed, but sleep.  normally do not take naps.  but that day I was worn out.
I would estimate i nap maybe once every 6 weeks.

i think those spikes on the 12th are when i get up for the bathroom.  several times a night.
[first time is normally 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours after going to bed]
I just leave my mask on the pillow when i do.  
Sometimes shut machine off briefly to add water to humidifier [when up for bathroom]

not every night, but some i take my mask off a couple of times to blow my nose.

on the 13th i see about 45 minutes when leak rate is higher.  i believe that is the long section you are referring to.  
Where it ranged from maybe 12-18.  what should it be?  [both great and acceptable levels]

Since the flow limits are 0.31 and 0.52 on the dreamstation examples, is that an overnight average?  [i think not because the "%" symbol does not follow that]
or is the mean?  
or tne high?

how do i compare that with the airsense chart that shows a high of around 35, with other readings at 20 and 10 and 5?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2022, 10:25 PM)TaxFreeira Wrote: Thanks Geer1.  On the airsense 11 I tried it without EPR but it was unusable. At the end of my exhalation it felt like I stopped breathing before I inhaled . 

Without seeing the data all I can guess is that the pressure ramped up much higher. Fixed pressure should feel similar between these two machines but the difference might be the effective pressure range being used since Resmed aggressively increases pressure and Dreamstation does not. Only way to keep Resmed at same pressure level is to handcuff it like I proposed (min 10, max 12).
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2022, 11:18 PM)TaxFreeira Wrote: Am i missing something in the readings?  why was i so tired? [sleeping too long and then taking a nap]

Why were you sleeping 4 AM to 3 PM? Seems like that cold have been part of issue. 

Otherwise I can only guess that it is the EPR your body doesn't like for some reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geer1, Thanks. i normally go to be between midnight and 2am.  that night was later.  i was not in bed all the time it shows. Part of that can be attributed to leaving the machine on to dry out mask and humidifier, and then forgetting to turn it off.  i cannot say what the rest is as i was not laying down for 13 hours.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,141 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 119 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.