Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Help Needed - AHIs in the 60s-70s with super high Leak Rates
Help Needed - AHIs in the 60s-70s with super high Leak Rates
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help. I finally got my hands on a ResMed machine in October (previously on a Dreamstation but stopped due to the recall). Sleep doctor adjusted my previous pressure range of 5-20 on the Dreamstation to 12-20 for the ResMed. My AHIs were nice and low although leak rate always seemed to be somewhat of an issue (in the 30s-40s) - this was all just per the MyAir app. But in the past 10 days or so my AHIs and Leak Rate shot up overnight. I tried switching out the hose to a new hose, changed the filter, tried a brand-new mask, shaved my beard, all to no avail. I remembered these forums and put an SD card into the ResMed last night. I followed the tutorial guide for OSCAR as best I could, please let me know if something needs to be adjusted in the display. EPR setting is off on my machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am literally falling asleep at work and QoL has gone way done in these past several days. 

Here is my OSCAR data from last night:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Needed - AHIs in the 60s-70s with super high Leak Rates
I would say you have a very serious leak issue and that you need to recheck all connections. Hose, mask, humidifier, it could possibly be internally in the PAP as well. With runaway leaks as this, you're not getting any benefit from the PAP therapy.

Your leaks sounded high to begin with historically, now they're out of control.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Needed - AHIs in the 60s-70s with super high Leak Rates
Of course the leaks are terrible. But I would like you to look at something different that MIGHT be the real problem. Positional apnea is when you get into a position that cuts your own airway off. It can happen for many reasons but all lead to your chin dropping down to your Sternum cutting off all air flow. No pressure changes can help. You need to stay out of that position.

If anything change with your pillows, sleep position (started sleeping on you back), the bed itself?

Many people have found wearing a collar can be very helpful. I have a link in my signature on collars. Please take a couple minutes and look it over.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 68 Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 130 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,529 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.